I don't know what it is about rivers and frogs but I have found that bass CRUSH frogs on river systems. Sure there are times bass crush them in lakes and ponds but they always crush them on rivers. What I mean is that if there is a frog bite its usually very aggressive, whereas on lakes and ponds I find a lot of times the bass will nudge the frog or just try to suck it down or half heartedly go after it. On rivers its like a toilet bowl flush when they decide to eat it. So try fishing the rivers around here. Charles, Sudbury, Concord, Nauhua.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:54 am

stratos1966

jcotier

Jbigun might chime in hes great with a frog and has shown me a lot with it.

That guy is Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated. I have seen his frog technique. Lets just say it needs work.

totally agree LMAO!!!

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:12 am

Ihave found out that it pays off to get a seperate combo for fishing heavy cover, whether you plan on flippin or froggin. Fishing the heavy stuff with your standard rod reel combo and your 10-12# test just won't cut it. Most Medium action rods dont have a fast enough action or backbone for the strong sets and horse power to pull the bass out before they dive and get tangled in the pad stems. We lost a few fish this year in pads because of the wrong set up. I plan on getting a 6'10-7' MH or H rod for next season set up with braid to solely fish around pads, grass mats, and any other heavy stuff the bass live in. It's worth the extra couple hundred dollars to me. I'll keep my Medium power for a general purpose for spinnerbaits, cranks, senkos, and what have you. But if you are going to get one "Technique Specific" rod, make it a flippin'/Froggin' rod because you'll get the most use out of it.

I dont think anyone really needs a seperate rod for crankbaits, spinnerbaits, topwaters, jigs, etc. But you do need a few different rods for different situations, example:Fishing around heavy cover, your standard 6' spinning rod with 8# test just isnt going to cut it. I say upgrade to a nice 6'6" or 7' M rod for your "general purpose" rod that you can use to throw many different types of lures like jigs, plastics, spinnerbaits, topwaters. Then get yourself a Heavy rod for the heavy stuff. If you are a spinning tackle guy, there are rod companies that make H power spinning rods that can hold 1- 1.5 ounce lures and heavy enough braid.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 pm

jwo1124

Ihave found out that it pays off to get a seperate combo for fishing heavy cover, whether you plan on flippin or froggin. Fishing the heavy stuff with your standard rod reel combo and your 10-12# test just won't cut it. Most Medium action rods dont have a fast enough action or backbone for the strong sets and horse power to pull the bass out before they dive and get tangled in the pad stems. We lost a few fish this year in pads because of the wrong set up. I plan on getting a 6'10-7' MH or H rod for next season set up with braid to solely fish around pads, grass mats, and any other heavy stuff the bass live in. It's worth the extra couple hundred dollars to me. I'll keep my Medium power for a general purpose for spinnerbaits, cranks, senkos, and what have you. But if you are going to get one "Technique Specific" rod, make it a flippin'/Froggin' rod because you'll get the most use out of it.

I dont think anyone really needs a seperate rod for crankbaits, spinnerbaits, topwaters, jigs, etc. But you do need a few different rods for different situations, example:Fishing around heavy cover, your standard 6' spinning rod with 8# test just isnt going to cut it. I say upgrade to a nice 6'6" or 7' M rod for your "general purpose" rod that you can use to throw many different types of lures like jigs, plastics, spinnerbaits, topwaters. Then get yourself a Heavy rod for the heavy stuff. If you are a spinning tackle guy, there are rod companies that make H power spinning rods that can hold 1- 1.5 ounce lures and heavy enough braid.

I'm a little obsessive compulsive because I have a specific rod for every bait I throw, senko, wacky rig, buzzbait, crankbait, punch pitch and frog, sounds a little over the top but when you are fishing competitively and opportunities present them selves you want to be able to capitilize , like a blow up on the surface behind you, being able to reach down grab that top water set up all tied on is indispensable... That's just for me, I know guys that have 3 rods they do everything on, as far as froggin and flipping goes for flipping I use 7ft 2in extra heavy fast tip with 65 lb braid , baitcaster with a 24 lb drag (Revo) . Froggin 7ft 6in heavy fast tip with 50 lb and the same baitcaster .

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:38 pm

sinista

jwo1124

Im working my way up to having a rod for every technique and I do agree with what Neil said its nice to be able to reach down and just pick up a rod already rigged than to sit there and re rig when coming up to a spot where you have different conditions (weeds,pads,tree, openwated etc.) Just tough on the bank account but im slowly working up to it.

I'm a little obsessive compulsive because I have a specific rod for every bait I throw, senko, wacky rig, buzzbait, crankbait, punch pitch and frog, sounds a little over the top but when you are fishing competitively and opportunities present them selves you want to be able to capitilize , like a blow up on the surface behind you, being able to reach down grab that top water set up all tied on is indispensable... That's just for me, I know guys that have 3 rods they do everything on, as far as froggin and flipping goes for flipping I use 7ft 2in extra heavy fast tip with 65 lb braid , baitcaster with a 24 lb drag (Revo) . Froggin 7ft 6in heavy fast tip with 50 lb and the same baitcaster .

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:26 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links