walleyefanatic

I just find Crappie to be delicious. If I could catch Walleye out here I'd be eating the heck out of em Wink Which brings up another interesting topic, I had a fellow angler tell me the other night that "catch and release fishing is barbaric." He claimed it's traumatic for the fish to the point where most don't recover from being caught and that it annihilates fish stocks. Seems like total baloney to me, but I'd never encountered that opinion before from another fisherman.

yeah, baloney. ever catch those fish that have been caught before with hook holes or messed up mouths? or how about the ones with old lures or hooks in them? i think there are even studies that show fish don't feel pain. not sure how accurate this is and what the scientific verdict is, but another thing to consider is the lakes that have big tournaments every week. if catch and release was that barbaric, those fish populations would really suffer and fisheries would decline significantly.

gut hooking is different, and the chance of survival is much lower. at that point if you know the fish is done, you might as well eat it and salvage whatever you can.

regarding the dirty water being dirty, it seems like a lot of the places around here that have the dirtier water tend to also have the higher concentrations of mercury. just correlation.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:49 am

samf

walleyefanatic

I just find Crappie to be delicious. If I could catch Walleye out here I'd be eating the heck out of em Wink Which brings up another interesting topic, I had a fellow angler tell me the other night that "catch and release fishing is barbaric." He claimed it's traumatic for the fish to the point where most don't recover from being caught and that it annihilates fish stocks. Seems like total baloney to me, but I'd never encountered that opinion before from another fisherman.

yeah, baloney. ever catch those fish that have been caught before with hook holes or messed up mouths? or how about the ones with old lures or hooks in them? i think there are even studies that show fish don't feel pain. not sure how accurate this is and what the scientific verdict is, but another thing to consider is the lakes that have big tournaments every week. if catch and release was that barbaric, those fish populations would really suffer and fisheries would decline significantly.

gut hooking is different, and the chance of survival is much lower. at that point if you know the fish is done, you might as well eat it and salvage whatever you can.

I've caught several fish with hooks in them. Most recently with about 8 inches of line and a swivel hanging out. I couldn't even see the hook. They are resilient

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:53 am

Back to the original post/question for a minute. You may want to not eat any of the fish you catch out of the Charles near Boston/Cambridge. A few weeks back there was a guy swimming bare assed in it. He was swimming for a while, till the staties came and were finally able to apprehend him. I think he was high as a kite (screaming, yelling, signing the entire time). Craziest thing I have ever seen.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:26 pm

You may want to not eat any of the fish you catch out of the Charles near Boston/Cambridge. A few weeks back there was a guy swimming bare assed in it. He was swimming for a while, till the staties came and were finally able to apprehend him. I think he was high as a kite (screaming, yelling, signing the entire time).

Hahahaha, that definitely bothers me far more than the mercury levels!

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:27 pm

We all pee in the water

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:30 pm

I have seen the same people over the last 5 years eat everything they catch out of the lower basin, and there still kicking. How well, who knows? There Eastern European and quite annoying so I don't talk to them much. They especially love carp, and I wish they were better fisherman so they would eat more of them.

I personally would't eat anything from the Lower basin due to sewer run off during heavy rain. Just walk along the river on either side you'll see the sewer signs. But, where there is runoff there is great fishing. Specially in the winter, the sewer water is always warmer than the river.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:41 pm

sewage + mercury + ass jam + bass = yummmm

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:43 pm

samf

Don't forget pee. God knows you supply enough

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Ass jam? Never heard of it, can I spread it on my toast in the morning? Shocked

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Laughing

Sam's notorius cup Very Happy

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:32 pm

depends how thick it is.

shawneramone

samf

Don't forget pee. God knows you supply enough

my way of keeping those who take big bass out to keep in check

speaking of runoff getting into the wter...with this rain i think you may have polluted a pond recently.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:32 pm

bloomagoo

Laughing

Sam's notorius cup Very Happy

it's a big gatorade bottle or coffee cup thank you very much.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Oh ya. Gross!!!

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:36 pm

hahahaha, suddenly lost my appetite for, well, everything really

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Sam just had to let everyone know the Gatorade bottle is 'big'

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links