Does anyone have any good advice for trout fishing from a boat this time of year just like to fish for trout on those off days when the bass aren't biting well

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 am

I do better trolling than fishing bait on the bottom this time of year. I can see the trout suspended on my fishfinder. Where I fish (MA), they are 15' down over deeper water. I use lead core and weighted lines to reach them; I have downriggers but don't use them as much. I trolled up 10 yesterday but last week while only catching 8, one was a 4.6lb rainbow (State pin fish).

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:00 am

duplicate

Last edited by nautibuoys on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:01 am

Do I need down riggers or just let the bait sink before starting the troll

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:41 am

I've had best luck on 3 colors of lead core line out and/or 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz in line weight on mono. That will get me to 15' where I am seeing them suspend. You don't need downriggers for this depth.

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks I wouldn't know where to start with led core Idont know how to rig it up or even if I have a rod capable of handling it

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:31 am

@Benjenstark10,

Lead core line typically comes in 100 yard spools. The line changes color every 10 yards. This color coding helps you get your lure or bait down to the depth that the fish are holding.

Most guys use a level wind trolling reel with a line meter. They then match that up with a trolling rod that has a relatively Soft (Slow) tip because lead core line has zero stretch so you need the soft tip to absorb the shock of hooking and fighting the fish to the surface.

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:28 pm

I used one spool of lead core and split it (5 colors each) with a little backing on a couple of Penn 209 reels (non line counter) and Ugly Stick rods. You can estimate line out pretty well due to the different colors of the lead core. The soft tip helps as mentioned above. For freshwater, I have yet to go into the backing (saltwater is a different story).

Another rig that works is the Luhr Jensen Troll Ease where you add/subtract weights as needed, plus acts as a rudder.

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:36 pm

Try a small Dipsey Diver . you can set the depth and also get it to troll wide of the boat.
http://www.luhrjensen.com/Dipsy-Diver/Dipsy%20Diver,default,pd.html

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Quick update- caught 1 salmon, 1 brown and 6 rainbows yesterday using this rig. Biggest rainbow was 4.57lbs; another State Pin fish.

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links