Was just checking out the BPS Extreme and the very popular Pro Qualifier. Although both of these reels have exceptional reviews: 4.5/5 and 4.8/5 respectively, both reels Max Drag is only 10 lbs. After checking out a couple of the Revo models, I noticed that the Max Drag levels are 18-24lbs depending on the model and the Gear Ratios. For the most part these reels are all within $50 of each other. Extreme $79 reg. on sale now for less, $99 for the Pro Qual. and $129 reg. $99 sale price for the Revo-S. Is it standard for a higher priced reel to have a higher drag rating? The ABU C3 and C4 only have 15# max drag. This makes me think that the stronger drag means more money since these reels are larger models rated for up to 30# test, and have less drag capacity than reels rated for 12# line. In closing, when buying a new reel, where is the line between not enough drag, and overkill? This was never a consideration of mine until now sine I am leaning more twoards higher end gear as I get older. It seems like somewhere around 20# is standard on the Mid-Grade reels like the Revo S. Even the $299 ABU Revo Premier is a 20# drag.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:56 am

You're going to get a lot of opinions on this from more experienced and better fisherman than I. However, in my limited experience I will say that it probably never hurts you to have more drag available to you. To wit, I purchased a Quantum Smoke casting reel thinking I would use it for frogging and salt water (stripers, blues). I found out that when I tightened the drag down too far the crank handle would disconnect from the main drive gear. On the other hand, my low end Abus (SilverMax, ProMax, Orra) have plenty of drag and perform well for these applications. Weird, I know.

I will also say that a lot of guys on this site swear by the BPS Pro Qualifier.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:33 am

I like the higher drag ratings on the revos,it depends on what your using the reel for ,frogging you want a reel that can be locked down so you can pull those pigs out of the slop if you are using the reel for finesse tactics you wouldn`t need the drag locked down overall the revo series are great reliable reels

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:03 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links