I have a Abu Garcia revo sx and i have heard with the newer spools you don't need a mono backing what do you guys do ?

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:15 pm

benjenstark10

I have a Abu Garcia revo sx and i have heard with the newer spools you don't need a mono backing what do you guys do ?

it depends . if i have a reel with a wiffle spool ie: drilled i will just run my line threw two of the holes then tie my arbor knot and just go straight braid but otherwise you can either do a few yards of backing or try the electrical/medical tape around the spool so the braid has something to dig into which i personally dont know how trust worthy the tape idea is but i hear alot of people do it. if your spool is smooth than i wouldnt tie braid directly to it but if it has a ruff or knurled section on center of the spool then that means it is braid ready

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:59 pm

My spool has holes on it

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 pm

go get a few rubber O rings that will fit around the spool. You wont need backing after that.

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Yes! If you don't even with your drag pinned all the way down you would still be able to strip line out.

Backing any spool with cheap mono is a good way to save line.

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:23 pm

benjenstark10

My spool has holes on it

Well its a matter of preferance then. If u wanna use backing go for it but if the holes in your spool are smooth with no burs or ruff edges which they shouldn't on an abu then u can just tie threw the holes, its what I do and have never had any issues with it

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Rubber band/o-ring or small strip of black hockey tape, then braid away.

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:45 pm

ejoy

never heard of using an o ring or rubber band?

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:45 pm

i use any old spools of line - mono or fluoro.

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:46 pm

I bought 1000 yards of mono out of the clearance bin at Dick's for 3 bucks to use for backing. Even if your reel can spool straight braid you can ration it better by using backing

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:50 am

Yea I used electrical tape but now I have 50 yards of power pro that I have no use for so next time I spool up I'm using the backing Shawn and Sam what type of knot do you use Line to line

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:21 pm

Uni to uni knot

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:45 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links