Hey guys,

I've been thinking, most of use have digital scales, so lets try to somehow "synchronize" them so we can know how much any one scale might differ from someone else's scale. For instance, i've got 2 scales. One is an American Weight H-110 that seems to be dead accurate. I've weight pretty much everything in my fridge that has a weight on it and its pretty much right on. I've got an old digital scale that has no name on it and it reads about 3oz too high for everything.

I'm thinking maybe we can all agree on some object to weight and then post the scale readout of said object and then the weight of your fish. This way it will sort give others an idea on how the scale is reading.

I just can't come up with a good object to weigh. I'm thinking a bottle of liquer since they are pretty standard, but then again not everyone is of age, and not everyone drinks....give some ideas people Smile

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:53 pm

we'll weigh up a lunker

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:07 pm

budwick

we'll weigh up a lunker

i haven't caught a lunker in a while...last decent fish was a 2.4lbs. But who knows, maybe it was 2.8lbs or 2.0lbs. That's why i'm trying to get a general consensus on an object we can all use to equilibrate our scales.

For instance, lets say everyone has access to object X and the general consensus after many have weighed it, is that it weights 3lbs.

I catch a bass that my scale shows to weight 4lbs, but then i weight object X and MY scale shows that it weights 3.5lbs.

That would mean my scale is reading 0.5lbs too high, and that my fish only really weighed 3.5lbs.

Do you see what I'm sort of trying to get at?

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Weight of 1 US Gallon of water = approx. 8.35 lb

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Agreed, water is the way to go. I actually just tested my berkley digi scale and found it to be right on. I weighed the empty container first for precision purposes. The container was a 24 oz smart water bottle, which I calculated should read 1lb 8 oz on scale when full + container weight (1 oz) = 1lb 9oz. I was pleased to find that my scale was right on the money

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:45 pm

A pints a pound the world around. 16 ozs of water = a pound
8 pints in a gallon = 8 pounds. I was a Culinary Major. Not to discredit the previous post .

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:15 am

Neil, you math is solid. When you google "how much does water weigh you get 2 basic answers 8.34lbs and 8 lbs.
This topic came up on another board I am on. several guys took gallons of water off the shelf in supermarkets and had them weighed on the deli scales. They all weighed within.01 of 8.34 lbs. Is it possible the plastic container weighs .34 lbs?

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:27 am

A pint of water doesn't actually weigh a pound. It's a phrase that gives an approximation of weight, not a scientific measurement.

A US pint of water weighs approximately 1.042 pounds. Which takes a gallon of water to around 8.34 pounds rounded.

Going through the gallon -> liters -> kilos -> pounds conversion, you end up with 8.35 rounded.

To make things more complicated, the weight of water is not consistent. It weighs less at higher temperatures. See chart here.

For practical purposes, if your scale comes in around 8.34 at room temperature it's probably accurate enough to weigh your fish on and not get misled.

This of course does not account for the container itself. If you need that level of accuracy, weigh the gallon, empty it, and weigh the bottle the next day after the remaining water evaporates. You probably can't do that at the grocery store

Wink

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:00 am

can you recalibrate the digitals that are like 20 bucks at dick's and bass pro? I think mines a field and stream. I considered it could be off but I don't think by more than an ounce maybe 2. My weights at the tourney's (not the last 2 cuz we suck all of a sudden) usually match up from what I have and what smoke comes up with. Also I think it would be a miracle if everybody actually did this.

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:13 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links