if you want to drop a little more money and fish a lot of clear, deep water places, i would recommend a HD color finder.

3 lb smallies tearing through bait.

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:58 pm

samf

if you want to drop a little more money and fish a lot of clear, deep water places, i would recommend a HD color finder.

I see jaws

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:20 am

samf

I want to get one of these, maybe for next season. How does the GPS work? Can you log way points?

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:10 am

trolling motor mount is the way to go, that way when you are launching or beaching the boat, you can flip up the motor an protect the tansducer. Humminbird will have you send back the stock unit and will ship you a troling mower mount. I think Lowrence does too.

Don't cheap out. Buy the one you really want. Saving 100 or 200 dollars isn't worth it. You'll be back buying the one you wanted in the first place after the first year. You want something with down imaging. Side imaging is nice but alot more money.

BPS had the 596Chdi lowered to 399. this week. I just bought a decent unit a couple years ago just before down imaging was out. I'm contemplating replacing my unit complete, or purchasing the lowrence 4x dsi which is just a down imaging unit for 199.

Also, the most important parts about these...you need to know how to adjust them and read them. If you don't, they are useless. There was a guy at BPS who spent almost an hour with me showing me the ins and outs. It was amazing. If they have a seminar at BPS or something, go to it and learn. Otherwise, just buy a fish finder that little fish images pop up on the screen and hope for the best.

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:11 am

it's a great unit. but there's no need if you only fish shallow water. there's also a version with down imaging but my concern was battery power which I learned I could easily take care of with a slightly larger one than the portable case comes with. oh yeah, the price too lol

same thing with the GPS. it's GPS capable but I didn't get all the GPS stuff with it. i don't think it would work out in my cartopper b/c you need the receiver and all the other components. but yes, GPS would absolutely work - waypoints, navionics etc.

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks for the help guys. I like that new Himmingbird sista. I checked on BPS, and the older model had great reviews, so maybe I'll pick this up in the spring.

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:15 pm

jwo1124

Thanks for the help guys. I like that new Himmingbird sista. I checked on BPS, and the older model had great reviews, so maybe I'll pick this up in the spring.

It works great, its convienent, doesnt break the bank account either, good luck let me know how you make out, any questions about dialing it in send me a PM I can run that thing blindfolded

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:51 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links