tbass

That's the second tourney with dead fish????
Do you guys plan to address this ?

This time of year it is crucial to bring plenty of small frozen water bottles, use rejuvenade, and recirculate all day. In cartopper events, most cooler livewells don't have recirculating AND pump in/out setups so people need to be switching out their water manually every 2-4 hours hours at least. We lost a few smaller fish at Winthrop because our pump that we use to switch the water out broke. Those were our only dead fish all season and will be our last. Normally our fish won't even sit still at the weigh in because we take such good care of them.

I would also recommend everyone fishing the cartoppers use AT LEAST a 70 qt. cooler. Anything less is too crammed and not good for the fish.

Here is a link:

http://www.bassmaster.com/sites/default/files/imce/KBA_LivewellManage.pdf

Last edited by jbigun on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:48 am; edited 3 times in total

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:06 am

Joe I have read the opposite when it comes to changing out water. I read you want to keep the water you have, use ice and peroxide and/ or rejuvinade. What I read is the up and down in temp, going from a cooled livewell with ice bottles to the warm lakewater is just as much of a shock and as harmfull to the fish. You are better off keeping the pumps going with the cooler water and the peroxide.

Hydrogen Peroxide is your friend at this time of year. It's like $1 a bottle at walmart. Not too much though. I little is amazing, too much is deadly to the fish. 4oz for 70qt is what I use. There is a formula online if you want to google it. What I did was took a cheap plastic cup from the house, measured in 4oz of water, marked the inside of the cup where the waterline was with a permanent marker and now I keep the cup and the peroxide bottle in my boat at all times. They fit nicely along with a bottle of rejuvinade in one of those plastic maxwell house coffee containers with the lid. the coffee container acts as a bailing bucket or livewell filler in a pinch.
Also... Tap water has chlorine and fluoride in it, deadly to bass. Use spring water or make sure the bottles have no leaks and do not poor tap water in any form into your llivewell

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am

but my tap water is from the Quabbin

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 am

You are wrong Rich. The only time your theory is better is if you are adding lake water from a stagnant area of the pond. All major tournament organizations recommend switching out your water throughout the day with fresh lake water. You don't want to add too much ice and then swap lake water because that will shock the fish. It is all about keeping your water temperature at the right temp. and keeping your oxygen levels up. The ammonia build up and fish waste in a small livewell is not good for the fish.

Last edited by jbigun on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:38 am

I actually read the same thing that Rich said. Once you've treated your water and cooled it down to not switch it out due to the temp changes

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:41 am

shawneramone

I actually read the same thing that Rich said. Once you've treated your water and cooled it down to not switch it out due to the temp changes

You want to recirculate the water in the livewell continuously throughout the day and replace at least half of the livewell water with fresh (non surface, stagant) lake water at least a few times throughout the day.

Also, you NEVER want to run your fish to the weigh in hanging by cull tags like you did at Boone. Always put them in the weigh in bag with plenty of water.

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:54 am

jbigun

tbass

This time of year it is crucial to bring plenty of small frozen water bottles, use rejuvenade, and recirculate all day. In cartopper events, most cooler livewells don't have recirculating AND pump in/out setups so people need to be switching out their water manually every 2-4 hours hours. We lost a few smaller fish at Winthrop because our pump that we use to switch the water out broke. Those were our only dead fish all season and will be our last. Normally our fish won't even sit still at the weigh in because we take such good care of them.

I would also recommend everyone fishing the cartoppers use AT LEAST a 70 qt. cooler. Anything less is too crammed and not good for the fish.

Here is a link:

http://www.bassmaster.com/sites/default/files/imce/KBA_LivewellManage.pdf

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:02 am

jbigun

shawneramone

You want to recirculate the water in the livewell continuously throughout the day and replace at least half of the livewell water with fresh (non surface, stagant) lake water at least a few times throughout the day.

Also, you NEVER want to run your fish to the weigh in hanging by cull tags like you did at Boone. Always put them in the weigh in bag with plenty of water.

Ya that was dumb. I felt bad after I thought about it. I wasn't even gonna weigh them in. That was one of those dumb split decisions. I'm surprised I didn't get hit by a car. Usually those decisions result in bad things happening to me

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:04 am

tbass

Nope.

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:07 am

http://espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdoors/bassmaster/pdf/Keeping_Bass_Alive.pdf

Rich - read the article in the link above. Also note what it says about H2O2.

Another chemical that has sometimes been used to treat livewell or holdingtank
water is hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into
oxygen and water in the presence of organic material. However, this chemical
can injure fish and should not be used. Most people have used this colorless,
odorless, tasteless liquid to disinfect a cut or scratch. You can see it fizzing and
bubbling on the skin as it oxidizes. Now imagine what it does in a livewell full of
bass. The bass’ mucus coating protects its skin from the oxidation reaction, but
there is no such protective coating on the delicate gill filaments. Unfortunately,
anglers who use hydrogen peroxide often think that if a little is good, a little more
should be better. Wrong! Damage to gill filaments, suffocation and death may
result.

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:10 am

jbigun

http://espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdoors/bassmaster/pdf/Keeping_Bass_Alive.pdf

Rich - read the article in the link above. Also note what it says about H2O2.

Another chemical that has sometimes been used to treat livewell or holdingtank
water is hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into
oxygen and water in the presence of organic material. However, this chemical
can injure fish and should not be used. Most people have used this colorless,
odorless, tasteless liquid to disinfect a cut or scratch. You can see it fizzing and
bubbling on the skin as it oxidizes. Now imagine what it does in a livewell full of
bass. The bass’ mucus coating protects its skin from the oxidation reaction, but
there is no such protective coating on the delicate gill filaments. Unfortunately,
anglers who use hydrogen peroxide often think that if a little is good, a little more
should be better. Wrong! Damage to gill filaments, suffocation and death may
result.

Joe read what I wrote and then read the last 2 sentences of your quote...

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:32 am

It says not to use it period.

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:33 am

I read a lot about the hydrogen peroxide use in livewells. There are many articles on how good it is. They ALL stress that too much kills. I'm sure there are just as many articles as to why not use it. I imagine the same about changing out the water too

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:36 am

I'm fine with a little H2O2 but it definitely isn't necessary and not widely used or accepted in major tournament organizations. Not draining some of the water throughout the day is laughable. Fish waste and ammonia build up is toxic to the fish.

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:53 am

I think for the most part MAFF guys have done great at not losing fish. it does happen from time to time and is part of the sport.

We have not lost a fish in years and they are super strong and fighting at the end of the day.

We do use ice and additives and we do switch out the water a few bucket fulls at a time throughout the day. I also use a little hydrogen peroxide.

I dont think using a few frozen bottles cools the water enough to shock them from new lake water. If it does, changing it out a little at a time seems to work just fine.

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:01 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links