I have fished more than a few local bodies of water with advisories to not eat the fish due to some sort of contanination or another. I am wondering if there are any good bodies of water in the north eastern region of MA with clean water and edible fish. Crappie, Perch, Trout and Salmon are among the fish I'd be targeting as far as table fare. Also, if these bodies hold good populations to actually catch enough fish to make a meal, it would help.

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:34 pm

webster lake is loaded with perch and trout. they waters clean and the fish are edible

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 am

I'm mostly a catch and release guy, but a few times a year I'll keep a few Rainbows or Brookies to eat if I have a decent day on the river (depending on exactly where it is I am fishing). Seems as if all freshwater bodies have consumption advisories to varying degrees, I don't know of anyplace thats without any warning whatsoever. Some may be safe to eat from a few times a week, others a few times a month, while others you are strongly advised to never consume fish from there. Then it will also vary from fish species to species, and many times broken down to even certain species in certain waters. Usually I'll refer to a database like this if I have questions myself:

http://db.state.ma.us/dph/fishadvisory/

I have a printable PDF list of this as well, I'll try to find it again online and post it. Even water that appears clean and clear may not always be the safest, you can't see PCB's and/or mercury levels. But like anything, if you put in a little research and practice moderation, you can definitely enjoy some home cooked fresh fish with no worries. [/url]

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Ashland Res and Hopkinton Res are both very clean and are stocked with trout.Hopkinton is also stocked with Salmon has a decent population of hold overs and is also stocked in the fall.Water at Hopkinton has a stain color to it but is actually very clean.

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:54 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links