anyone fish the Charles River in the Dedham/Westwood area from the shore? Aside from getting eaten by bugs, the water level should be very low this year unless we suddenly get a ton of snow in the upper elevations so I'm wondering what to expect.

Posted Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:20 pm

I hit up this spot last summer. IDK if I coudln't find a good access spot to fish from on land... or whether or not this River was awful.
I've been fishing for years on the south shore freshwater. I can never find good spots to fish from on land. Thank god this year by buddy got a kayak and motor

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Where exactly on the River does everybody fish from? Anyone want to help me out. THANKS

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Well, it won't be until Spring, but I intend to try out a few of the canoe/kayak launching spots along the Upper Charles in Dedham. The Charles is maybe 20 feet wide there at some points, 40 at the most. Like most of Dedham, bug ridden.

It's rare to see kayaks up this far only because the river is usually full of branches, trees and other material that isn't cleared as it's in the watershed area. But that makes me wonder if it might be a very good spot for fishing.

I'll pass along what I discover when I get my lines wet. BTW, I fish flies and small lures on spinning rods, mostly 1960's era Garcia. No fly fishing, no graphite rods. Mostly old stuff with the exception of a mix of old lures and new ones. The fish don't know the difference.

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:48 pm

The first bridge you hit after the courthouses provide some good spots. Irene dumped some trees in the river that will definitely produce, but the lilly pads in that area are where to go but they're not out yet. Super shallow, if you get waders it's a great hot spot.

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:03 am

I have been fishing the Dedham side of the Charles (Saw Brook) all spring. Limited shore access. Two great spots that you need to hike too. Maybe a mile in off Great PLain Ave. The fish are waiting for those willing to hike and get eating by bugs (Largemouth, Pickerel, Bluegill, Crappie)

Posted Wed May 09, 2012 8:12 pm

I was just scoping that area out today in the rain. You say a mile in? Towards Needham or towards Dedham? The water is low now, allowing more shore access. The Dedham side gets very marshy at times, not to mention some home owners who take offense as if they own the water.

Just rebuilt a Mitchell 308A and cleaned up a nice Conolon 5 Star rod I'm ready to put to the test this Saturday when the sky clears.

I'm thinking this is the area off what used to be the public works entrance, then the local boat ramp / fire road. The construction kicked up a lot of debris for awhile but it seems to have settled.

Posted Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 pm

The trail head is the first fire road access. No home to worry about. It is very marshy at times. Once there you have the entire shore line plus some runoff area to fish. You could spend an entire day shore fishing here!

Posted Wed May 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Got it. Sounds like the Needham Public Works access road at the Dedham Needham town line. Liberal applications of Off or Cutter is common for kayak and canoers in the area who frequent this spot. The water is back up finally (just checked today.)

Sat morning I should be there somewhere. Or Jamaica Pond or Cow Pond if the bugs are ravenous.

Thanks

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 6:39 pm

just wondering if there were any good spots to catch bass from shore along bridge street and if the bass are really in there. hung up under any of the bridges?any good size?

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Since I'll be fishing that stretch in the yak tomorrow I'll post about what I learn.

Posted Fri May 11, 2012 2:02 pm

There's a construction access road just after the soccer field, opposite the Norfolk records building. If it's open, you can get down to the water level. You can park in the town lot across the street or on the street at a meter.

Posted Fri May 11, 2012 4:33 pm

there's access in west roxbury behind the Hope Depot. Take the towards home depot, but pass it keeping it on your right. Keep going and bare left towards a commercial complex. There is access to the river there on your left, check out google maps of the area, you'll figure it out.

Posted Fri May 11, 2012 4:42 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links