Anyone planning on participating in the cartopper tournament at Oldham Pond in Plymouth? And I couldn't quite tell if it is solo or a team event? Also one more question, define cartopper... like what kayak, canoe, small boat, because I have a small 8 foot Bass Pro Pond Prowler that I throw in the back of my truck that I use so I was just curious if this was acceptable as a "Cartopper" boat. But anyways I am considering making my debut either solo or with my fishing partner if its team. Thanks for reading it and responses are appreciated!

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Your boat is definitely considered a cartopper. Most fish as teams but fishing solo is not discouraged. I've done it a couple of times. It's still 50 bucks. The key is having a working livewell. Most of the cartoppers use a cooler with an aerator. In the summer its important to bring frozen water bottles to keep the livewell water cool. The sign up sheet will go up the Sunday before the event at 8pm

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:01 pm

you should be fine - what shawn said. you're more than ok fishing alone. the working livewell is key.

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Once again thank you very much, very helpful info and ya that is the only thing I am lacking but I am going to take care of is getting a cooler that can hold up to 5 fish and having an aerator. Sweet deal, well on that note I will hopefully sign up before all the spots are taken on Sunday! Thanks again!

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Your pond prowler qualifies as a cartopper. kayaks have their own trail. We do have a canoe or 2 that fish. the only requirement we have is a cooler livewell with an aerator capable of keeping 5 fish alive. It most have an aerator pump. 50+ quarts is recommended.
Our events are 5 fish limits. You can fish alone or with a partner. It's $50 per boat 1 or 2 guys. The Oldham sign up thread will go up on July 14th at 8pm. You should be online right at 8 to sign up. We anticipate it filling up FAST. Oldham is in Pembroke.

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:06 pm

I expect that one to fill up quick

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Cool thank you Samf! I will probably fish with my partner, better chance of catching monsters with two lines in the water!

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:09 pm

rich here can help out with a nice cooler livewell setup. i have a pretty nice design as well and can send you some pictures if you want some ideas.

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Oops thought it was Pembroke, but thank you for all the info guys, very helpful and it's awesome everyone is so willing to post and reply to help out another person on here!

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Ya sure samf send me some pictures if you'd like to and wouldn't mind seeming I will need something to meet the requirements.

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:12 pm

thecapecodking

Ya sure samf send me some pictures if you'd like to and wouldn't mind seeming I will need something to meet the requirements.

Look at my profile pics. Go to page 7 and you will see my cartopper cooler livewell. Its a 70 qt marine cooler with a livewell pump built into the side

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Wow, very nice. How much would something like that run me?

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:19 pm

thecapecodking

Wow, very nice. How much would something like that run me?

The cooler is like $50 or $60, the pump another $30.. So $80 or $90.

get the cooler at either walmart or Kmart and the pump from either walmart or BPS

The pump does not have to be mounted through the cooler like I have. It can be velcroed to the bottom of the cooler in one of the corners for easier install.

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Alright cool well thank you for all your info and help I appreciate it Rich. Have a good one!

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:25 pm

You'll also see some tricked out and customized 12-14 ft flat-bottomed boats we affectionately have dubbed "aircraft carriers". The debate has gone on and on as to whether or not they are actually true car toppers, but they have been accepted as such by most. If you only use an electric trolling motor then its considered a topper. Drop the gas motor down in the water and now its a big boat. Gotta love it!

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:27 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links