I was wondering if anyone has ever fished the cluster of ponds about a half mile north of the Burrage Pond Reservoirs in Hanson/Halifax. Indian Head Reservoir and its surrounding unnamed cluster ponds. I see them on google earth and they looked heavily padded/weeded out, but I've heard from various sources they still hold good fishing if you know how to fish them. The coordinates for where I am talking about are 42°01'27.85"N & 70°53'05.23"W

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:19 pm

I fished out there quite a bit when they were first opened to the public. Got plenty of fish, but nothing over 2lb. Those ponds are heavily weeded in right now and I don't think the fishing would be worth the effort. Plus the water levels are way down compounding the problem. It might be worth checking out after the weeds start dying off and if we get some rain this fall Exclamation Also, it is a wildlife management area and hunting is allowed out there. I don't recommend walking around out there once deer season starts Exclamation Laughing

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:14 am

Awesome man, thanks for info haha and yea I won't be setting foot there during deer season. Still an awesome place though. Surprised

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:17 pm

Burrage Pond, the big one where the EPO's are, was a great pond when it first opened. Had plenty of bass in the 3-5lb range. Unfortunately a fish kill 3 winters ago took care of that Exclamation The pond hasn't been the same since.

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:26 am

Oh damn, thats a shame, I figured something like that happened though. I used to work with a guy who ranted and raved about it but said he had not fished it in about 3-4 years. Everytime I've gone there in the past year I've completely skunked bass wise, caught a few pickerel here and there, but nothing else.

Posted Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:55 pm

don51

Burrage Pond, the big one where the EPO's are, was a great pond when it first opened. Had plenty of bass in the 3-5lb range. Unfortunately a fish kill 3 winters ago took care of that Exclamation The pond hasn't been the same since.

Brooks pond in Medford, I've fished there for 30 years. That winter 3 years ago, with the back to back heavy snow and cold, Killed everything in the pond.

This place was a honey hole with lots of good fish. Pre google satellite days very few people knew it was there. It was tucked behind Oak grove cemetery and it was killer fishing.

Just before that winter Roger/Pocketfisherman and I, were tearing that place up with buzzbaits. The next few years I went there a few times and caught nothing. I heard from others that nothing was being caught.

I made it a point this year to go there and walk around all three connected ponds. I caught nothing. I knew something had happened. I would not of thought the place could be wiped out by a bad winter. It lasted at least 30 winters that I knew of.

I went home and googled brooks pond Medford. I found a story referring to the spring just after that brutal winter. It said visitors of the cemetery noticed crayfish all over the lawns. They had not been seen before. The article said Richie Eckert a cemetery worker, stated that all the predatory fish were killed off during the winter. Richie fished this pond all the time and I have fished with him many times, I found another newspaper article about the crayfish problem and it too confirmed that there was a fish kill during the winter, with hundreds of dead fish floating in the spring.

I've caught several 6 lb plus out of this pond. This place held tons of fish and was a treasure to those who knew about it. All destroyed in one winter.

Posted Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:49 am

Those snowstorms that happen right after we get safe ice does a number on the ponds Exclamation Sunlight can't penetrate and the weeds that produce the oxygen die off. That in turn leads to the fish dying off, it's a vicious cycle. All you biologists feel free to correct me Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Those snowstorms that happen right after we get safe ice does a number on the ponds Exclamation Sunlight can't penetrate and the weeds that produce the oxygen die off. That in turn leads to the fish dying off, it's a vicious cycle. All you biologists feel free to correct me Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links