COuld be a tension pin or roll pin. Those work in a pinch but they are not stainless steel. They will rust rather quickly so, use them but remove them soon. Both pins are made of spring steel which is stronger than the stainless pin therefore, if you hit something with it it may not sheer as easy hope that helps

Posted Wed May 28, 2014 11:04 am

Home depot or lowes may carry something for a pinch may even have stainless. In Taunton area you can try Manny's hardware that freaking place has every thing. When ever we need a special bolt or nut for our rubbish trucks some stuff is huge no one carry's it (can get through Fastenal but they only sell in 50-100 packs) we run over there and laugh when you walk in guy comes right over to help you (and unlike home depot the are very knowledgeable) hand him some huge grade 8 bolt he looks at it for second and says oh yeah right over here walks to the exact spot in one the isle where it is pulls it out 8" long bolt with inch and half head on it. I don't ever remember going there and not coming back with the right stuff or they help you find something that will work. There is a reason they are one they few private old school hardware stores surviving in the home depot age. rant over.

Posted Wed May 28, 2014 2:45 pm

THis is the post I was talking about regarding the broken shear pin Mr Awesome. Nice try saying it was fiction!!

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:10 am

shawneramone

I have one backup. I'm not giving it up. Murphys law was written because of me. I carry a spare prop too.

Still saying in fiction???

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:12 am

I guess i have selective memory. But don't blame me for missing time. I gave you the hook shaft trick. I had to do it once. It works. I hope you have spare pins on your boat now. I go through 2-3 a year.

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:57 am

LOL! I def carry spares now!!!

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:14 am

Nothing worse than missing time on the water because of a $5 part

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:40 am

Since we're talking about it I went ahead and ordered 2 more

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 am

I had no idea what a shear pin was until I took the boat to Oldham for the first time last year. I'd been there dozens of times in the kayak but had no clue how shallow it really was in places. I found out, though. Broke the shear pin in less than hour. Haha.

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:22 pm

If someone here is still having trouble finding the shear pin, try checking your local hardware store like Home Depot or Lowe's. They often carry universal pins that might fit your Minn Kota Edge . Just bring the broken one with you to match the size. Always good to have a few extras on hand!https://fishingsun.com/search?q=Minn+Kota+Edge+45

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:26 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links