Anyone use these? I made a previous post about planning on getting new rods where I mentioned the Falcon Bucoo series, but these rods have just as good reviews, plus half the cost. I checked out both the spinning version and casting, both rank 4.6/5. If anyone does own these, are they a very stiff rod? I'm looking for a rod with back bone but a soft tip for casting and playing fish. Not looking for a bamboo stick. Plus, I read a review that mentions the handle on the casting rod to be a bit short? Does this pose any problems?

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Depends on what you plan on using it for. I have a ML that I use for trout and drop shotting. IM7 isn't stout enough for heavy duty apps, such as jigs. It's just a basic, mediocre rod.

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:14 am

If you get a medium heavy im7 rod there pretty stout i have a couple im7 rods and love them. Also not sure if this is correct but i have been under the impression the im7 rating is just the grade of the graffite not how stout the rod is.

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 am

After a quick internet search, and reading an explanation from a post on a forum, my understanding is that different graphites have different ratings based on the density of the material. The denser the graphite, the high IM rating. The denser fibers cause the material to be stronger and more responsive, which in turn leads to increased sensitivity. These rods made from higher rated graphite are lighter because less overall material is needed to make a rod that will meet given specifications since said material is stronger than a lower quality material. Think X amount of IM 6 graphtie to make a M power rod. Only a percentage of X is needed to make the same rod with a higher quality graphite. Less material, less weight, lighter rod. It also stated on this post I read that rods made from higher quality materials tend to be a lot more fragile though, and susceptable to cracking alot easier than say an IM6 rod.

Again, this is just my understanding of what I read. Not sure if it's 100% correct. If someone more knowledgable could elaborate I'm appreciate it.

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 am

lighter and more fragile is correct. but lighter rods sure make a difference.

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links