So we know bass eat baitfish,perch,sunfish etc....and it only takes a trip or two to a pond to figure what it is that body of has, but what about stuff like craws,worms etc... How does one go about finding all this out without actually going into the pond and digging for them.

Also if anyone has any info about that kind of common forage in MASS ponds and lakes that would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:09 pm

If you go to the shore of most ponds around rocks or a stream at night shine flash light in water bound to see some craw fish most of the ponds hold them and safe bet perch and sun fish are common forage for any Bass in this state.Easy way to catch a bass try a Senko been killing them on those this year.

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Catching bass in not the problem. Its matching jigs to craws and such...I would like to match colors as much as possible. Give me alittle edge on some of the more fished out places.

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:12 pm

panfish are pretty much a staple in all ponds, so that shouldn't be a problem. Perch colors are easy to find, as are blue gill - chartreuse, purples, oranges. Crayfish can be found in most ponds too I believe, but definitely like ponds with rocky/sandy bottoms as they often hide under the rocks. That's why oranges and browns are a good bet.

I read in field and stream once that you can choose any color you want, as long as its green pumpkin, and I tend to agree with that.

Posted Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:23 am

I catch fish on trout colored lures in ponds that definitely don't have trout. I like to match too but sometimes the bass just know what they like. I throw a lot of crawfish imitators. I have no idea if a particular pond has them, I throw them anyway. They catch fish everywhere.

Posted Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:28 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links