On Friday I received my new Lew's Speed Spool baitcasting reel in the mail. Awesome!

However, I was examining it this weekend, and when I put my thumb on the spool it's a bit two narrow.

Is this because I don't have line on the reel, and if there was line on the reel just the tip of my thumb would be touching and there would be more clearance?

Do some reels have wider spools and are better for the big handed like me?

Am I just going crazy and being obsessive?

- Patrick

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:27 pm

It works better with line on it

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Yes, line is highly recommended! Very Happy

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:39 pm

azmlii

- Patrick

Yes!!!

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:49 pm

azmlii

On Friday I received my new Lew's Speed Spool baitcasting reel in the mail. Awesome!

However, I was examining it this weekend, and when I put my thumb on the spool it's a bit two narrow.

Is this because I don't have line on the reel, and if there was line on the reel just the tip of my thumb would be touching and there would be more clearance?

Do some reels have wider spools and are better for the big handed like me?

- Patrick

Shimano makes bigger spool reels. I have one on my big swimbaits rod.

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Don't most low profile reels have the same spool width give or take? What's the exact model of Lews? I can compare with my tournament pro speed spool.

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:28 pm

He's just doing stupid winter stuff. Holding and caressing his gear

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:10 pm

I hold my gear all winter long

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:14 pm

Shawn holds his rod at all times, day & night, night & day!

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:20 pm

It's important to know your gear

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:13 pm

Yes, I'll admit it I was fondling my gear.

Winter seems to get longer every year.

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:05 pm

its ok patrick i fondle my gear constantly lol. no word of a lie i used to come home from work at night and on nights that i didnt go fishing i would sit on the couch and watch fishing shows while fondeling gear, i would actually fall asleep on the couch with a flippin stick in my hand only to wake up to the wifey telling me to put my s*** away before i woke up with a hook in my face hahaha! i think gear fondeling is what sets apart the weekend fisherman from the obsessive anglers lol

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links