Hope you feel better soon!

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:32 pm

only thing i hate about picks is that they are just hard to get a solid grip on, either a finder up the gill plate and grabbing the jaw from inside the mouth or holding the death grip behind the plates they always wiggle free. the one and only time i ever got a hook stuck in me was last month i cought a pick in rutland with a sexy dawg with 3 trebles , i couldnt get a finger up in the plate so i death gripped it behind the plates and while removing the hooks he started thrashing and dug a hook into the web between my thumb and forefinger. i freaked and started squeezing harder to try and keep him from getting me worse but that just made it freak out more and dig the hoojk in past the barb then started death rolling while attached to my hand! i ended up just saying f*** it and lipped the damn fish hard and got the hook out of his mouth and back in the water. spent the next couple minutes ripping the hook out of my hand :/ good times...

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:52 pm

bassin147

Ive been seriously considering a pick cleanse. There are just too many in some places, they eat everything, If your trolling any kind of swimming lure, they are gonna hit it. Put them all in a bucket and feed em to the birds is what I say.

i agree with this guy!

jamesd is a scholar.

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:09 pm

Sorry about your hand.

I don't think I'll make any friends saying this. I love catching those slimy, soul-less monsters...I've been targeting them and doing well. They're pretty much the only native fish left since bass and bluegills wiped out all the natives.

Don't worry: by the time I get in on a MAFF tourney, there won't be any punts... All mine will fly through the cross bars.

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:54 am

I don't think I'll make any friends saying this. I love catching those slimy, soul-less monsters...I've been targeting them and doing well. They're pretty much the only native fish left since bass and bluegills wiped out all the natives.

Phew, for a second there I thought I was the only one. I enjoy catching em, but I guess it probably is irritating if you're exclusively targeting bass and keep catching Picks instead. I just haul em in with a net and then death grip em with a glove on my hand and use this little Pike thingy that hold their mouths open, put the lipgrabber in there, and then the rest is pretty easy.

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:31 am

walleyefanatic

Phew, for a second there I thought I was the only one. I enjoy catching em, but I guess it probably is irritating if you're exclusively targeting bass and keep catching Picks instead. I just haul em in with a net and then death grip em with a glove on my hand and use this little Pike thingy that hold their mouths open, put the lipgrabber in there, and then the rest is pretty easy.

pickeral are actually very good tasting when prepared well, I eat them all the time, you must skin them right away however

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:19 pm

Pickerel=good bass fishing..?... If they're around, they're eating perch. Bass grow big on Perch.

I've been fishing 2 ponds pretty hard lately. One has perch and pickerel, the other has crappie (they both have bluegills and bullheads).

The bass in the perch pond are much larger. I've probably gotten 20 bass from each. The biggest out of the crappie pond (my friend's catch), was 2.5, the perch pond has given me two around 4#. Perch-pond dinks are a few inches longer and a 1/4# heavier.

My neighbor at the office sent me the picture I added to this post. No question about: I'm buying some perch-colored plastics and crank baits, and I'm going to live line a few too...

Also, I'd eat one of the monsters I caught last week if the place was clean.

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 pm

I grabbed it behind gill and was about to grab pliers when fish thrashed and I lost grip next thing I know hook is in me not fish.I've hooked myself twice both times courtesy of big gator pick. My own fault just need to be careful. Just wish it went through so could have snipped hook mysef. I hear u on the wellness clinic didn't realize there was 1 like 10 min away.$75 co pay later grrrr!

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:40 pm

I will leave a pickeral hanging on a hook with his face and gills out of the water until the thing stops thrashing around, then reach down with a pair a long long nosed pliers and grab the hook then wrench it out of his mouth. I'm not a big fan of the pickeral, but you have to admire their tenacity. They will chase a lure all the way back to the boat and hit it multiple times all the way in. Give ya a heart attack crushing a lure as you are a about to pull it out of the water.....

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:07 am

oldfisher

jamesd

oldfisher

jamesd

oldfisher

another $50 pickerel.

Most Emergency Room vists are as high as 300-400$ even with health insurance if you dont get admitted to the hospital. If you go to an urgent care walkin clinic like a Concentra or Carewell then its usually only 50$ copay with insurace.

every insurance plan I ever had was a $50 deducible, your employer is stiffing you if you pay $300.. 3 times for fishooks in my family.

You must have Medicare. The copayments if your not admitted is 50$ for Medicare. Or maybe 20+ years ago it was 50$ for commercial insurance for an ER visit. If you have top of the line insurance today its still gonna cost at least 150$.

Touche! I am showing my age, deductibles have risen since I last used them.

LOL Older than dirt !!!

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:58 am

I will say hey have some of the most explosive strikes you will see or feel. I did enjoy the fight til I realized it was a pickerel. My first real drag puller in a while. Unfortunately or fortunate depending on your point of view, I do my best to leave every fish the way I caught them with as little damage as possible. Often times to my own detrement.

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:52 pm

badlarry

I will say hey have some of the most explosive strikes you will see or feel. I did enjoy the fight til I realized it was a pickerel. My first real drag puller in a while. Unfortunately or fortunate depending on your point of view, I do my best to leave every fish the way I caught them with as little damage as possible. Often times to my own detrement.

I will fish for them specifically in the North country. fantastic fighter, lot of fun, and skinned, steaked and cooked right, delicious. Cool

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:37 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links