Used them in T this weekend..seemed ok,although I had afew bites that felt really good only to come off seconds after..

Anyone who has tried them have any opinions?

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:47 pm

I looked at them at dicks. Seems like a cool idea but 3 out of 5 hooks in the package didn't have barbs on them. I just stuck with the standard hooks

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Thx..what are you referring to as standard hooks?

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 pm

never used the vmc ones but i use gamakatsu spin/dropshot hooks all the time for either throwing wacky rigs or when throwing live bait for lake trout and i love them but again they are not vmc that im using but i assume the design is the same. they have great hookups and hold onto baits well because of the design of the hook bend. i use size 1 and 2 for bass and lakers. its a great finesse hook

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:20 pm

I usually use gamakatsu finese wide gaps but lately I've been using the octopus circle hooks. Less of a chance of gut hooking fish and they seem to hook up pretty good

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:33 pm

unless throwing a wacky rigged worm on the drop shot, i'm not a fan. good design in theory, and they definitely eliminate line twist but the hooks are on a swivel so they hang down. that means if you're using a baitfish type bait or worm that either floats or isn't buoyant, it's either going to sag or float straight up instead of perpendicular which isn't realistic.

you'd think it would be fine with a roboworm which is buoyant but doesn't float straight up but the "drag" of the hooks weight pulls it down.

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Oh lol foolish me just realized it says " spinshot" not " splitshot" lol. Yeah I use the vmc spinshots for dropshotting but only when verical jigging a dropshot. I don't like to cast with them cause. I've had some issues with the hook spinning backwards and getting tangled in slack line. Disregard my first post cause I thought u said splt shot / dropshot hooks which are entirely different lol

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:09 pm

whats even better is a drop shot hook called standout dropshot it doesnt have a swivel but it bends in a snake like design so all you do is tie your knot and run tag and never loses its form its awsome Tackle warehouse has them

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links