What is the next step up from a go pro , does anyone have something better then a go pro with zoom and a viewing screen ?

Posted Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:05 am

I got myself a drift ghost HD this past year. An absolutely fantastic device IMO; and I've been thru a LOT of camera's before finding the one I like. I'll be getting a 2nd for dual coverage soon. It's got zoom, and a viewing screen; but I don't usually have it mounted within arms reach, so rather than the screen I use it's remote with the unit in wifi mode transmitting to my iphone where I can view, zoom and even send live footage if I want. Search you tube, there's plenty of reviews. The Go-pro is now collecting dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPdi5j2vsYs

http://driftinnovation.com/drift-hd-ghost-wifi-app-now-available/

Posted Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:56 am

Looks like an interesting camera with a good feature set, though PCMag preferred GoPro Black. Depends on the features you're looking for and how you intend to use it. Definitely worth considering for those in the market for this type of camera.

Posted Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:43 am

Right - having 1080p60 instead of 1080p30 is indeed more important to users who watch their video on high res or LCD's as PCmag points out; but the 1080p30 is more than adequate for most users of you-tube and the internet (the internet is a low resolution medium).

Posted Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Heck, I shoot all of my videos in 720p. It's still hi-def but I get extra battery life and more record time on my SD cards compared to 1080p. Even Hero 3 White offers 720/60 mode and for fishing videos I'm never going to need 60fps. Plus the audience is mostly watching on Youtube and probably not full screen so 720 is more than adequate.

Posted Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:27 pm

same here. I use 720 for card space and battery life plus is it really that much of a difference seeing my goofiness in 720 than 1080?

Posted Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:01 pm

shawneramone

same here. I use 720 for card space and battery life plus is it really that much of a difference seeing my goofiness in 720 than 1080?

We want shawneramone goofiness in 4k!!!

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:50 am

Not to mention, it saves time in editing because the lower resolution loads and renders significantly faster.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:51 am

stratos1966

shawneramone

I want to see him making out with the fish in 4k Very Happy

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:52 am

bloomagoo

stratos1966

shawneramone

I want to see him making out with the fish in 4k Very Happy

You have to pay for that

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:58 am

Re "Heck, I shoot all of my videos in 720p....."

Yup, sorry - I misread what you were saying about PCmag. After I read their review it seemed the only reason they chose Go Pro, or at least it was the only reason I saw mentioned 3 or 4 times, was because it has 1080p60 whereas the Drift only had 30 fps. I was trying, very poorly, to make the same point that you guys were making that we don't need that much res for our use. I like both cameras but have chosen for my use to go with Drift. Others may do better with Go Pro....I have one I might be selling real soon if my son doesn't want it.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:09 pm

If it's an H3, send me a PM.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:42 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links