So, I was fishing in my favorite spot last weekend with a buddy. I felt the most amazing strong and fast pull (pole almost came OUT of my hands) on my wacky 5 inch worm hooked 2/0 octopus (never lose anything usually). It felt like an insanely big bass (faster drag pull than both 6 pounders I have ever gotten) and it was hooked I'd say for about 5 seconds before it somehow got away. I'm thinking it was a huge bass and it didn't quite get hooked properly in its lips/mouth. Might have just had the worm only somehow.

Do you guys (with this rig):
1.) Know there is a fish on the line and let the bass take it for a little bit
2.) Try to hook the fish better at least a little by moving your rod to the left, right, up or down?
3.) Do nothing and reel in and muscle the fish to the boat

Any suggestions?

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:50 pm

not sure which hook you are using Ralph but these are what I have. I use smaller ones size 2's mostly, not 2/0. you could try larger ones if you like. the fish will hook themselves, RARELY do I lose a fish, never a big one. I just reel them in. "tournemant" means the hooks are non offset, a little less chance of gut hook.\
http://www.hooksettersupply.com/Owner_5114T_Tournament_MUTU_Light_Circle_Hooks_p/owner-5114t.htm

Last edited by oldfisher on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:11 pm

If you boat alot of fish and don't lose many i wouldn't stress over it. Happens to the best of us, but hey at least you didn't see the fish. Way worse IMO when you see a goliath throw the hook!

When i fish senkos i....

Feel the tap count a long ONEEE MISSISSIPPIIII. Usually the big bass will suck the bait up like a vacuum. My rod tip is around 7 o'clock and shoots up too 12.

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:13 pm

I agree, I think bass tend to hoover the whole damn bait into their mouths so a short count and strong set should work 90% of the time or better. The other 10% is just weird stuff, the hook doesn't grab, the worm gets in the way, etc. A couple weeks ago I missed one when the weed guard on my hook actually got tied to the hook point by a piece of weed that got wrapped around both. Who knew? Rolling Eyes

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:48 pm

the way the wacky worm sits on the hook naturally pushes the bass mouth open when you set the hook. while you shouldn't really have many problems, this can result in a less than ideal set hook at times.

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks for your input guys!

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links