Just trying to figure out if I want to fish Lawrence or haverhill

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:34 pm

Have fun, the river is a good time. I don't know if you are using a boat, just be aware of the large boulders that could ripe off your lower unit. Knock on wood this hasn't happen to me but I have seen what the river is capable of doing. And if you launch in Lawrence
Make Sure you don't leave any valuables in your vehicle . One last thing be prepared to deal with the gang of jet skiers that think they own the ramp. Whitehorse restaurant has a launch in Methuen. There is cost of 15 bucks but worth it seeing they have a nice dock and a bar for those days the fish are not hitting or the weather turns sour. Hope this was helpful and you enjoy your time on the Mac.

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:41 pm

If you put in in Bradford (Haverhill) and go up river, do so at your own risk. All I can say is thank goodness my boat is aluminum and not glass because I would have been sunk.

I went out Sunday morning, had my son keep visual on the bow and I was on sonar. PLENTY of visible debris to avoid like trees and obvious rocks. However, shortly after the Haverhill train bridge, near DeLuca auto I was in 12ft waters and in about 3 seconds 3ft and sideswiped a submerged rock/tree.

Thankfully the impact created a small dent and no structural damage to the boat, but I think I'm all set with that end of the Merrimack. Even though the stretch between where I was an Methuen, with all the rocks, looks like bass and pike haven (maybe even Stripers), it's not worth the risk for me. Good luck to you if that's where you go.

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:10 am

Especially the left hand side of the river seemed more rocky/stumpy/shallow than the right on that Haverhill stretch. But not far after the train bridge I saw a guy who lives there open it up with a motor boat. He either knows the river or is crazy. He was flying around

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:17 am

So what I have been told is gas up to the train bridge and stay 50 feet from the see wall also what's the launch address

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 am

benjenstark10

So what I have been told is gas up to the train bridge and stay 50 feet from the see wall also what's the launch address

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/fba/access-sites.html

Type merrimack in the search bar and it'll show you

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:16 am

Couldn't find the haverhill launch though

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:22 am

benjenstark10

Couldn't find the haverhill launch though

I didn't realize there were 2 search bars on the page. The one that's just under and to the right of access sites. All the merrimack launches will pop up and I believe Haverhill is first.

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:31 am

[/img]

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:45 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links