hey guys so I just got a 45 lb thrust trolling motor for my new pelican boat. all I have left to get is a battery and battery charger and ill have it out on the water. I heard deep cycles make the battery last longer. any help on what kind of battery and charger i should get would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Die Hard batteries have worked the best for me. I have run Interstate batteries a couple of times. They have been less than reliable, from my experience with them. What size to get depends on what you are going to run with it. What will you be running besides the trolling motor? Fish finder, lights etc?

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:15 pm

for now I just plan on getting the trolling motor, battery, and battery charger. eventually I plan on getting a fishfinder as well but thatll probably be it

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:33 pm

I've got an 8 ft Bass Hound, I think is the name, and I run a 35 lb for 2 days on an Optima Blue top before charging. Father's Day is bringing me a new Optima charger that is computerized and supposed to do a better job on the Optimas. All 3 of my jeeps run yellow and red tops also and that's the reason for that charger. I also used a DieHard with a Schumacher charger for a while before the blue top and never had a problem. What ever you buy, make sure the little round sticker says E3, for May 2013, F3 would be June 2013, that way the battery is fresh and new. I also run a fish finder off it but no lights.

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:41 pm

ffgrizzley

I've got an 8 ft Bass Hound, I think is the name, and I run a 35 lb for 2 days on an Optima Blue top before charging. Father's Day is bringing me a new Optima charger that is computerized and supposed to do a better job on the Optimas. All 3 of my jeeps run yellow and red tops also and that's the reason for that charger. I also used a DieHard with a Schumacher charger for a while before the blue top and never had a problem. What ever you buy, make sure the little round sticker says E3, for May 2013, F3 would be June 2013, that way the battery is fresh and new. I also run a fish finder off it but no lights.

do you know what type of Schumacher charger it was?

Posted Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:47 pm

i have one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=727395&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D700551%26type%3Dproduct%26WTz_l%3DYMAL%253BIK-016446&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-018049

it's a beast but i can run all day long and still have about half a charge.

i have a minn kota charger but you can definitely find cheaper. just make sure it has maintenance mode.

Posted Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:54 pm

ttroy95

Sure, it's a Model SE-40-MAP, says 10 amp on the face and has settings for 12 or 6 volt. Charges manually or automatically with settings for conventional low maintenance or maintenance free deep cycle. It's got to be over 6 years old now. Another reason for a new one. Smile

Posted Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:23 pm

ffgrizzley

ttroy95

Sure, it's a Model SE-40-MAP, says 10 amp on the face and has settings for 12 or 6 volt. Charges manually or automatically with settings for conventional low maintenance or maintenance free deep cycle. It's got to be over 6 years old now. Another reason for a new one. Smile

thankyou

Posted Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:32 pm

I have the same boat, I think. Pelican BassRaider 10E. I bought the 55lb minkota troller with the 27 Deep Cycle marine battery and after 5-6 hours on the lake/pond I'm not even denting the battery charge. I use this as my charger and haven't had an issue yet.

Posted Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:14 pm

pdubya

I have the same boat, I think. Pelican BassRaider 10E. I bought the 55lb minkota troller with the 27 Deep Cycle marine battery and after 5-6 hours on the lake/pond I'm not even denting the battery charge. I use this as my charger and haven't had an issue yet.

what kind of battery and charger is that? it looks they work good together. I just want to get a battery and charger that both work well

Posted Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:28 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links