14%  [ 2 ]
Pond
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
Stay Home
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

One of the best fishing times I ever had was on the Concord River near my childhood home in South Lowell right after a day of heavy rain. It was August and the rain cooled the water and I caught over 40 fish in 2 hours. Mostly largemouth ( a couple over 4 pounds), white bass, crappie, perch, and a huge eel.

So it's gonna rain heavy Friday into Saturday. I would like to get out there right after Saturday morning. What do you all think? Merrimack or a pond? Question

Posted Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:44 pm

We are supposed to get 1.75"-3" with some places getting up to 4". The Merrimack will be absolutely cranking.

Posted Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 pm

charliep

We are supposed to get 1.75"-3" with some places getting up to 4". The Merrimack will be absolutely cranking.

Fast flow? Oh man I got a spot if the lower (below Lowell Dam) is high is unreal.

Posted Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:16 pm

I am going to the Merrimack Sunday are you thinking that's a bad idea ?

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:00 am

I am not saying it is bad but I am overly cautious. The river height fluctuates quickly. I know from your posts Grayrider that you fish from a kayak and I was just looking out for you. That is what had me thinking. Here is a link that I have found helpful.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=01100000

Charlie

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:16 am

I fish from a 14 foot tracker with a 15 horse gas and 35 or 70lb bow Mount depending where I am but I have never been to the Merrimack

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:20 am

benjenstark10

I fish from a 14 foot tracker with a 15 horse gas and 35 or 70lb bow Mount depending where I am but I have never been to the Merrimack

PFD YO!

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:46 am

[quote="skoda"]
benjenstark10

PFD YO!

[/quote
Solid advice.]

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:13 am

So I take that as we should probably wait till the water calms down

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 am

Like I said earlier, I am overly cautious. I have a 16' aluminum utility and I wouldn't take it out. That is not to say that others wouldn't. I am by no means an expert. The Merrimack is big water. Whatever you decide, just stay safe. If you do go, I would wear a PFD the entire trip.

Charlie

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:24 am

I was planning on hitting the Merrimack this afternoon but cancelled due to the weather. I don't wanna mess around in a river during a storm. The PDF advice is solid

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks for all the advice we are going to look for small mouth elsewhere this weekend saving the Merrimack for a few weeks I guess let me know if anyone that knows the river is going on a Sunday and wouldnt mind showing us the route around the rocks in the future

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:50 am

I think the best advice for all is to just stay safe and if you do go out in a boat during this stuff or any other time, have those pfd's with you.

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 am

We always have pfds on the boat

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:24 am

River water will be all stirred up. Can't imagine the fishing being very good until things settle down Exclamation Was out on a local pond this a.m. and found the bite to be prettygood, even with the east wind Exclamation

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links