Any helpful tips, baits, techniques, or spots for pickerel.

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 1:56 pm

your all over the place lol you should try n pick one or two species to target and get good with them before jumping from bass to catfish to stripers to pike then to pickerel. but if you must catch pickerel go online and find a bass pond near you that is reported to have pickerel and then go and try and catch bass... why? cause you always catch pickerel by accident when fishing for bass lol. try shiners or if you are using artificial then go with shiny things

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 2:17 pm

I get a lot of pickerel on spinner baits with a 4" grub trailer and slow, steady retrieve. Also jerk baits, crankbaits and even topwater baits such as frogs and jitterbugs.

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 2:30 pm

They will hit just about anything that moves lo I've got em off football jigs,spinnerbaits,inline spinners,swimbaits and I frequently get em on wacky rigs but much like their larger cousins the pike they are suckers for red and chartreuse. Try spoons also if vegetation allows it

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 3:03 pm

lol i know im all over the place. I have cought a bunch of bass, a few catfish, and one pickerel. I just wanted to know extra information. primarily tips from people who fish them more then i do.

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Spoons are great red devils early spring when no weeds but anything that acts like a bait fish will get their attention.Beware they are nasty with sharp choppers had one throw hooks into fingers on both hands and then cut me with its teeth the other night.Had hooked its upper and lower jaw together on a treble hook pain in the but to get out and she was none to happy about it!

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 5:56 pm

badlarry

Spoons are great red devils early spring when no weeds but anything that acts like a bait fish will get their attention.Beware they are nasty with sharp choppers had one throw hooks into fingers on both hands and then cut me with its teeth the other night.Had hooked its upper and lower jaw together on a treble hook pain in the but to get out and she was none to happy about it!

lol ill never forget the first time i picked one up by the gill slit to avoid the teeth only to get shredded by the gill rakers haha. it was like fingering a chick full of razor blades Wink i always feel bad hooking pickerel though cause their face always seems to get shredded really bad at the drop of a hat.

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 6:35 pm

They key to landing pickerel is to have a lip gripper (my favorite is the Fish Grip http://www.amazon.com/United-Plastics-Fish-Grip-Orange/dp/B002L96JG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369871304&sr=8-1&keywords=fish+grips) AND a set of needle nosed pliers. Never get your hand near their mouths, especially when they are still hooked because they will thrash unexpectedly and you'll end up with a finger full of teeth, hook or both. If you don't have grips you can grasp them behind the head and use the gill plates to keep them from sliding through your hand, but you'll still need the needle nose pliers. The worst is when the big ones swallow your bait deep.

One more thing, if I know I'm going to catch a lot of pickerel I have started replacing the treble hooks on certain baits with tandem hooks. Spinnerbaits are easiest to remove. Jerk baits, those with two or three treble hooks, can be dangerous and also injure the fish. I don't have too many issues with shorter square lips, though, just the longer crank baits.

Last edited by bloomagoo on Wed May 29, 2013 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 6:53 pm

It took every once of will not to smash this thing but I never kill a fish for no reason I was really pissed this fish did a number on me.First I get braid slice from battling a Pike and then this tough week for me lol but at least I was rewarded last night with my best haul of the year just about 20lb bag limit and my biggest bass of the year which was close to 5.

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Strangle the bastids Exclamation Laughing

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Love catching these guys, so much fight.

Here is a 3+lb chain pickerel over memorial day weekend, destroyed a topwater frog.

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Nice. Where did u catch it?

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 5:28 pm

How's this for a pickerel

Or this one this is my PB

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 8:28 pm

bassturds

How's this for a pickerel

holy bejesus!!! mark that is the biggest pickerel ive ever seen! its like a friggin pike-erel lol wow i mean just wow

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 10:23 pm

^ where the hell was this cought and on what bait?!?!?! did you weigh it? the state record is 9 lbs 5oz and the world record is only 9 lbs 6oz ! im not sure if this just looks bigger than it is but damn i hope you got a weight

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 10:24 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links