Went out on the Charles yesterday in the Dover/Medfield/Millis area. The entire banks were loaded with massive amounts of very thick/dense underwater weeds (maybe algae). Anyone else run into this in the Charles this year? I have never seen it this way and was wondering if there was a reason.

Posted Mon May 20, 2013 6:44 am

No clue, but I say in a week or two, start throwing a weedless from in there!!

Posted Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm

The Charles was pretty darn weedy last year. We just had our kayak tournament in Waltham two days ago and while there were weeds beginning to grow it was nothing like June of last year when the weeds covered well over half of the water area. Charles and weeds go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Posted Mon May 20, 2013 4:49 pm

yeah its asian millfoil and its insane gets worse every year start buying your one ounce tungstens

Posted Mon May 20, 2013 9:00 pm

The Thicker the SLOP the better Start punching!

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 2:04 am

bloomagoo

Charles and weeds go together like peanut butter and jelly.

100% right i love the charles and charles river bass love weeds and love FROGS hint hint

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 1:54 pm

They didn't love frogs this past Saturday Sad

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Yeah, I don't think the frog bite is quite there yet. In a few weeks it will be awesome

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 5:59 pm

I have found historically the 1st or 2nd week of June the frog bite explodes on the charles. On any given year it can move erlier or later depending on temps and the spawn. Until then try a jig and pig in the wood near calmer areas where the bass might spawn.

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 6:20 pm

I need to fish this River called Charles

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 6:23 pm

shawneramone

Hey if u ever need a buddy for you back deck let me know i like the charles and theres a nice ramp in waltham.

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 7:44 pm

This past saturday i threw a frog and nothing but the frog and the bite just wasnt there yet.

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Sporadic bite on the Charles last Saturday, but soft plastics were the story. The weed cover gets super thick and the fish love it. Those frogs will produce after the spawn, guaranteed!

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 9:08 pm

thelucky

Yeah, I don't think the frog bite is quite there yet. In a few weeks it will be awesome

it was last night in Waltham 2 5lber's in 45 minutes with a horny toad.

And yes the weeds were thicker now than they were this time last year.

Can't Wait for the frog bite next month...

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 am

kizel13

shawneramone

Hey if u ever need a buddy for you back deck let me know i like the charles and theres a nice ramp in waltham.

Written just like a Craigslist personal ad... Ha, back deck.. ..sorry in a 12 year old mood today!

I need to fish the charles more as well..so much water in the state and so little days in the year Sad

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links