Hey fellas,

I've been researching ponds in my area and saw white pond is pretty darn close to me! I read online it's great for swimming kayaking and sitting at the beach but I found no info about fishing. People have posted about it on MA fish finder but only in small amounts and I wanted to be safe.

-Leo Very Happy

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 8:41 am

Generally, if you can kayak you can fish. I've seen places that allow shore fishing but no boating, but never the other way around.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 9:24 am

Well, I walked all the way up to white pond to learn its no tresspassing and a public water supply. Oh well, time to head back and give up. 2 hour hike to the lake for nothing.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Yeah, that's not true. Walk up the railroad path and you'll see some rogue "no trespassing, private property" signs. That's just some nearby owner staking his claim on things that aren't his. The only true signs over there are the conservation signs to use the proper paths to a avoid further erosion. I hate these jackholes who live near public water trying to deter usage.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Wow thanks for the heads up! What a jackass!
Walked for two hours and was so demotivated.
Luckily Lake Boon was nearby and there were no signs there so I went over and threw in a senko.
TADA! Within 30 seconds I had my first fish ever hooked!
A footlong Largemouth bass!
I'll post pictures later!
Can't wait to cook him! Very Happy

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 3:34 pm

There is a consumption advisory on the bass and crappie in Lake Boon. You can eat them, just don't make a habit of it.

Children younger than 12 years or age, pregnant women, women of childbearing age who may become pregnant, and nursing mothers should not eat any of the affected fish species (in parenthesis) from this water body.

The general public should limit consumption of affected fish species (in parenthesis) to two meals per month.

source =http://www.oars3rivers.org/river/recreation/fish/safe-eat

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 3:49 pm

I wouldn't eat bass from most water around here. And it would help all of us tournament and recreational guys catch them bigger another day. Very Happy

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Whites pond has a ramp and parking for a couple of cars but then there's no parking anywhere else. It's electric only. Mass waters have mercury.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Are you saying that ALL mass waters have mercury?
And white pond has signage saying it's the Maynard drinking water, granted those are the same signs that say 'no trespassing' but hm.
That's odd. Why do all mass waters have mercury?

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 6:10 pm

White's pond in Concord, or White pond in Hudson across street from Boone?

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 6:12 pm

I guess we're talking about different ponds here. I meant the one in Concord. Don't quote me on it but I think all Mass waters have mercury. There's even signs at wachusett

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 6:29 pm

I believe some mercury gets in from rain water that rains and washes in.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 6:58 pm

chuckh

White's pond in Concord, or White pond in Hudson across street from Boone?

The one in Hudson is the one I went to, which is why I went to Boone afterwards when I saw the signs.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Yes, pretty much all New England ponds contain mercury because it's airborne, comes from the coal fired power plants in the midwest, blows east, and precipitates out of the atmosphere. The mercury collects in aquatic plants that are consumed by small organisms. It then bioaccumulates up the food chain so that the higher order predators end up with the highest concentrations in their bodies.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 8:55 pm

sounds delicious

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 9:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links