hey guys, I normally hear of a lot of people using jigs for bass but I rarely use them. I do own a couple but never seem to catch a lot on them. I have a couple flipping ones in a blue/black and a brown. a couple of swimming ones in the same colors. then I have a greenish football jig. I figure those colors are pretty good. but I was curious to see if you guys find one type of jig head better then the rest

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 5:01 pm

i love using all types of jigs but i never throw black and blue. every jig i throw is either watermelon or greenpumpkin

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 5:11 pm

personly im a huge fan of jigs, black being my favorite and always with a space monkey as a trailer if im swimming if im dragging it a football head works best for me that way if you hit different bottom types youll be able to rock over the transition, if im draging it either a robo worm floater or a crawfish from net has to be on the back , black and blue seems to be best for me in my area

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 5:14 pm

When it comes to different styles of heads it depends on where you plan on throwing the jig. If your deep water fishing, rocks, or anywhere else that doesn't have that much vegetation then you probably want a football head. If you plan on fishing around docks, mild vegetation, laydowns and such i would reach for a jig with a head like jay's jigs from BHB (Not sure on the appropriate name for those style jigs) or a arkie style etc.... If your planing on flipping or pitching your bait into some real heavy gunk then get a grass jig with the best weedless head you can find With a weight of something around 1oz-1.5oz.

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 6:32 pm

thanks for help guys

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 8:03 pm

I've caught the most and biggest bass on the. Black/blue finesse jig with a yum craw chunk. Blue fleck.

I've caught bass on black. And black and red!

I've fish shallow muddy ponds with weeds pads and brush!
I do have other colors. But I don't fish them much.

I'd say buy one or 2 colors and fish those alot.

That's what I did with the finesse jig.

At times that was the only lure I brought with me. So I forced myself to learn how to fish it and catch fish on it.

Buy a medium/heavy bait caster out braid on it.

If you use to light of a rod. YOU WILL MISS ALOT OF FISH!!!!!!

I learned the hard way

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 8:17 pm

in mass any jig under 1oz can no longer be lead. Buying tungsten jigs is gonna get expensive, considering I lose them and get em stock in rocks like my job, lol.

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 pm

check out http://www.boaghogbaits.com/

Jay makes some good baits. I mostly use swim jigs. Any kind of bottom. Like many other techniques, it's boils down to personal preference. Jigs catch fish any time of year. I like black/blue or green pumpkin. Chigger craws are my favorite trailer but I've been known to use others. Like anything else if you put in the time you'll build confidence in it.

Posted Fri May 31, 2013 5:44 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links