WHAT SIZE ANCHOR SHOULD I USE FOR SALT WATER.
I HAS 12' ALUMINUM BOAT ( USED 3LBS ANCHOR WITH 6' OF CHAIN AND HARDWARE) IN 8' DEPT WITH 25' OF ROPE WITH NO SUCCESS HOLDING POWER?WHAT IS GOING ON I MUST GO KOOKOOOO.

I DO MY MATH( GOOGLE) 12' ALUMINUM BOAT CAN'T WEIGHT MORE THAN 300 LBS, THAN 3 LBS ANCHOR WITH 6' OF CHAIN SHOULD WORK
GUESS NOT IN SEAWATER , SHOULD I GO WITH MY INSTANT 25 LBS?
PLEASE CONSIDER THIS THAT I'M LOW ON DOE, I CAN'T AFFORD BIGGER BOAT.
EXPERIENCE COULD HELP.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 12:16 am

It also depends on what type of anchor you were using and the amount of Rode you have out. The normalnratio should be 7 to 1 so 7 feet of anchor line (rode) to every one foot of water depth. In rough weather a 10 to 1 ratio is suggested. The amount of line is a very big factor due to angle of the anchor thats actually gonna be gripping the sea floor. You want a fluke style anchor (works best for the majority of sea floor your gonna see in new england) As for size it never hurts to step up above the recommended size given. There has never been an anchor that has dragged for being to big. I hope this helps you PM me if you have any other questions.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 9:49 am

10 to 1 ratio is suggested - thats interesting -good info

in hi winds and big current - i use a second smaller anchor to balance the load on the bigger one
but in general the longer the line the less force of current wind aso
on the boat = less movement off position

also its important how u position ur boat towards the wind

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 12:29 pm

Scope Holding Power

10:1 100%

7:1 91%

6:1 85%

5:1 77%

4:1 67%

3:1 53% (also known as the 'lunch' hook)

2:1 35%

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 3:43 pm

7 to 1 is the suggested ratio but I can tell you if you use this formula "1/2 the boat length in chain and a danforth type anchor" a 3 to 1 will be more than sufficient. I anchor my 24' Albemarle off Stellwagon Bank in 200ft with 600 ft of rode and 12ft of chain and hold like a champ even with the current cranking. Often times I can get away with 500ft if the current isn't ripping.

Posted Thu May 23, 2013 3:23 pm

thank for all your support.
Jason from J&M towing give me anchor bc he don't need it.
it like 65' of rope ( .5 inch thick) chain and anchor.
working good so far but hasn't test it windy day yet.
I'll be At buoy 7 Revere and Lynn bay this Monday or Tuesday if weather permit me with my Tinnytanic2.

Posted Thu May 23, 2013 7:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links