So I've been putting it off for awhile mainly due to the fact i don't wanna be chucking around some big goofy umbrella rig and i didn't have the equipment to throw one. Not anymore though i finally said screw it and im going to be purchasing one next week or so. I figure I'd give it a go since i know it catches quantity and quality fish, sometimes at the same time! Also i never seen anyone hurling one out at my local waters so it will be something new to the fish.

Im not sure how many MAFFers have experience with them, but what better place to start to ask.

Anyways I plan on purchasing the Yumbrella flash mob. Not sure about baits though?? I need some blueback herring/alewife imitators and was planing on getting perch or sunfish just not exactly sure which or the last two. I have some decent spending bucks but surely cant be buying baits costing 20-30$ per swimbait. Any advice on some quality baits without drying up my funds?

So i know how to set it up im just not entirely sure which baits i should be putting hooks on since MASS has only allows two hooks on a lure? I don't wana be getting strikes on the baits with no hooks!

I know the last one in the school gets hit and i plan on making that one special either by red coloring or upsizing. What about the others though?

Probably the more important questions i got. The rest i"ll have to figure out by myself. Again i never see anyone throwing one so i honestly don't know if anyone on MAFF will have any answers. As always though i appreciate any answers regarding my post or anything relevant to it
Very Happy
TIGHT LINES MAFF

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 10:35 pm

I bought one at Walmart for 12 bucks. I've caught stripers on it!

I found a yumbrella in a tree. Haven't used it yet.

I got a medium 7' ugly stick 15lbs mono.
I use it for schoolies and light tackle stripers!

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 6:24 am

Please don't forget that in Mass it is either a 2 hook or 3 hook Max. for this type of bait.

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 6:30 am

I just have no luck with them. I've had fish come up and swipe at them but no takers. I think they more useful on lakes with shad. I have been using perch style baits with no success.

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 6:34 am

Thanks for the responses. Im aware of the hook limit. I went on the MASS site and looked it up. I really had little to no interest using one untill i started really looking at the available food source at my local hole. I notice they were massive amounts of schooling blueback herring( I believe theres alwifes also to in the BOW because i blueback and alwifes are super similar except for a few features including the color and my brother had a finesse setup an ended up catching a beautiful 6 or 7 inch blueback herring) Anywho there was big schools all around in different parts so it triggerd me into getting the rig. I really just plan on throwing the rig at a few set places anyways. Again thanks for any responses MAFF

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 pm

i love throwing them and i use the manns A-rig i use split belly swimbaits on em. im throwing em for atleast a little while when im out

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 2:40 pm

I use one (purchased 2) I bought, last fall, from Timmy Toms Baits. 3 willowleaf blades, 2 swimbaits/5" grubs, whatever & used them on large lakes like Mashpee-Wakeby & did pretty well. Whoever wrote it is correct. They're better on large bodies of water w/shad or herring, as the case is down here on the Cape. I throw mine on a 7'10" BPS Cranking rod w/an ABU Garcia 5001 reel spooled w/65 lb. braid.

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Great topic and now I'm interested in the umbrella rig. My question is, do you cast and retrieve or do you cast when trolling to a new spot and troll it behind you until you hit your next spot? Or both, I guess both are doable. What are the preferences on this rig?

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 5:20 pm

pdubya

Great topic and now I'm interested in the umbrella rig. My question is, do you cast and retrieve or do you cast when trolling to a new spot and troll it behind you until you hit your next spot? Or both, I guess both are doable. What are the preferences on this rig?

I imagine you can do both . . . having said that, I've only done cast & retrieve. There's another rig, built by Castaic baits where you can put wts. on it to retrieve it deeper and I believe it is made of either plastic or pvc??? Gonna try that one next.

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 pm

yeah so this is a subject i was interested in when they first got popular but decided it was pointless seeing as how if you get cought using one with more than 2 actual baited hooks on it you are screwed so its kinda pointless in my opinion to even use a full 5 wire umbrella . i personally have bought quite a few yumbrella double ups though and use them quite frequently on waterways that have schools of baitfish being gobbled up by hungry predators and ive had a bit of luck on them but its really a niche lure cause it ONLY works under a very certain set of conditions otherwise its just another lure that will be hit or miss. as for the full 5 wire umbrella if you do plan on using one legally (with 2 hooks) may i suggest using 4 inch swimbaits on 3 of the arms with a cheap jighead with the hook cutoff and just enough left to hold the swimbait on then use two 5 inch swimbaits with actual hooks tied to a couple short fluoro leaders to keep them at the back of the school like scragglers. if fished this way i see it being worthwile to use under the certain sircumstances necessary for this rig to be succesful. as for my double up rigs i just throw them on my 7'6" medium heavy flippin stick on 50lb pp cause i dont ever plan on throwing anything that actually requires an umbrella rod (unless i end up moving to texas like ive dreamt about )

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 10:16 pm

I thought I knew most of the MA fishing laws but never noticed the two hook one. Does that make hardbody baits with three trebs on them illegal? I have a ton that I would rather not put in the lead jig box.\

Answered my own question after I googled it. Not sure why I didn't in the first place, probably something to do with the whole it being 4am thing.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/cmr/cmr_400.htm

A single crank/jerk bait is intended to only catch one fish, while an umbrella can catch mutliple.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 3:18 am

A big stick bait can catch multiples, I've gotten two smallies on one hit. I tried to get an answer on this from F&G and never got a decisive one.

Hook means an angling device which is attached to a fishing line and which is designed to take one fish at a time, including, but not limited to, devices commonly called spinners, spoons, bait harnesses, lead head jigs, or plugs, the purpose of which is to capture the fish by enticing it to take the device into its mouth, thereby engaging the fish upon it.

Since the umbrella rig is attached to the line and really only meant to catch one fish at a time by simulating a small school of fish, is it really wrong with all hooks in place? My original question to F&G was about a stick bait with a trailer for short hits being attached at the rear most position on the bait. Even with 4 hooks it was only one device meant to catch one fish.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 4:59 am

ffgrizzley

Since the umbrella rig is attached to the line and really only meant to catch one fish at a time by simulating a small school of fish, is it really wrong with all hooks in place? My original question to F&G was about a stick bait with a trailer for short hits being attached at the rear most position on the bait. Even with 4 hooks it was only one device meant to catch one fish.

Respectfully,I think this is where you stray a bit on your interpretation imo. If you were to take each of the 5 swimbaits on their jigheads off the umbrella rig, you would have 5 separate rigs intended to catch 5 different fish. Just because you are throwing them all at once does not change the fact the multiple fish are being targeted at once, otherwise the rig would consist of 4 hookless "attractor" baits and only 1 with a hook meant to catch the fish. reverse it. If you take 5 crankbaits and attach them to the umbrella rig, they don't magically become 1 bait.

I hope they ban umbrella rigs entirely. If you saw the damage they are doing to the fisheries. When fishermen catch 1-2 fish on the rig the remaining 3-4 baits with hooks end up embedding themselves all over the bodies of the hooked fish doing serious damage.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 7:17 am

I'll have a different angle for the umbrella rig, I wish they would allow 5 hooks. For umbrella rig purposes only. I think the reason why Mass is only 2 hooks is to stop snagging migatory fish like herring. Which I think is a good law, because if you are just throwing a weight and a bunch of hooks you could snag a lot of herring.

The popularity of the umbrella rig has been great for recreational fishing. You cast it and reel it in, not much to it. Fishing licenses across the country have shot up because of this rig, I see the rig as a postive for bass fishing to grow as a sport. Yeah, fish get caught up in the hooks, but I had so many jerkbaits do the same thing.

I have a couple of the standard wire rigs with a wieghted head. I want to try one of the more flexible rigs like a Donkey Thrasher that can pulsated more when you swim it.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 7:29 am

Rich is right, a five hook rig has a high probability of foul hooking. But the upside is that a 2-3 hook A-rig with a couple dummies or spinner blades works great with little chance of a foul hook.

I worked in California a lot this winter where the 3 hook limit is in place and everyone uses the A-rig with spinners or dummies. It is a very effective lure in clear water with some chop/breeze, would actually say its the best. Comment there is you have two type folks fishing, those throwing the A-rig and those getting beat by folks throwing an A-rig.

After seeing the 3-baits work great I set up a 2-hook MA legal rig and I think its awesome in clear water with some breeze/chop. Don't think you can beat it. Put three willow spinner blades up top and two swim baits low, and the swim baits are always hit.

With three willow blades and two swim baits, its not too heavy and can use your swimbait rod setup. Use the Keitech or P-Line swimbaits, work much better than the hollow belly as the tale action great even when moving slow. Or use the grub curly tails which also work when moving slow.

The ultra-light Yumbrella with three wires, one willow blade and two swim baits designed for crappie is great to pitch around cover and docks (get rid of their swimbaits and use ones mentioned above).

I'll bet that by the end of this year many tourneys will be won this way in MA, folks will be surprised how effective.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 7:54 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links