Guy's.. 2 hrs on the Lake today..in the shallows pads coming up and pickerl are spawning. Caught 15-20 in just under 2 hrs. Lost 3 spinner baits but had a lot of fun ...some were good size and put up a nice fight. Bellies were full so gentle release was in order.
2 Bass as well.. nothing over 1 lb (bass wise)

PJ

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 2:16 pm

yeah webster has plenty of pickerel but ive never actually targeted them but sounds like a fun day

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 2:26 pm

Oh, I am not trying to target them..I dislike the fish to be honest.
I have always been a spinner bait fisherman from the time I was a kid.
While fun to catch the larger pickerel they tear up line, baits and you loose a few lures in the process. Regardless of species, I still respect the life of the fish and try to do it no harm and release them.

Down South we call these fish (a variety of the pickerel) "Jack Fish"

PJ

kamilfishes

yeah webster has plenty of pickerel but ive never actually targeted them but sounds like a fun day

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 6:47 am

There's Pike in Webster too, or so I've heard.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 am

Love catching pickerel, especially the larger ones.

Have yet to catch a northern pike, that is next on my list, regardless of size.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:29 am

They were probably just full of bait. Pickerel spawn immediately folllowing ice out as pike/walleye/perch do. I've been seeing seeing them stuffed as well!

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:39 am

Pickerel have been on a heavy feed. The one's I'm catching are all fat. I nailed a couple 19s today that I would have sworn were half a foot longer before I got them into boat.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 4:26 pm

the pickerel in plymouth must of been on a frenzy, I caught one with a belly so big I had to squeeze it. Sure enough the 3.5 lber had a turtle in its belly, amazing!!!

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Dam, they really DO eat anything they can swallow I guess!

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 6:50 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links