So with the big swimbait craze i bought some and im ordering some MS slammers very very soon. Now that i got the baits im gonna need a rod to throw em.( I know i have seen other people ask questions on this subject i just havent been able to find the thread) i was looking through a bps catalog and was wondering if anyone has thought of using a muskie setup to throw these swimbaits since muskie baits are similar weights? What are peoples thoughts/experience with this?And if anyone would like to share there setup they use to sling these things it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 2:38 am

i throw em on my powell endurance swimbait rod with 20lb flouro does the job pretty good

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 9:06 am

I've used muskie setups for throwing swimbaits and they were perfect for the size and weight.

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 am

Rob you can definitely use a muskie set up as a beginner swimbait rod. Thats exactly what i did years ago before I was sure it was a technique I would use regularly. Just be sure the rod is rated for 2-5 oz. Longer is better for heaving the big baits. 7'6- 8'. I throw my swimbaits on 25lb mono.

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 10:35 am

I use an Okuma Musky 8' rod, a Cardiff 301A, and 65lb. braid. Works well for all my swimbaits. A little light for the 9" Slammers.

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 8:46 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links