My 55 lb thrust (12 volt) Motor Guide tripped the 40 amp circuit breaker 3 times today. The "head" piece was replaced a year ago so this is virtually a new motor. I wired a new Lowrance fish finder yesterday, which should have nothing to do w/today's issue seeing as they're not, in any way connected, wired or otherwise (I use a separate battery for the trolling motor). My question is, does this tripping the circuit breaker indicate a problem w/the motor or is it a broken circuit breaker? It has worked, virtually, flawlessly w/that 40 amp circuit breaker since its replacement last year, that is, until today. All help is appreciated. Thanks

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 1:23 pm

The fact that it is repetedly triping the breaker tells me there is something wrong. Try taking off the prop and see if some fishing line has been wrapped around the prop shaft. Sometimes this happens and makes the moror work harder causing the circut breaker to pop. If thats not it I would bring it to a repair place because something is wrong and using it further could cause BIGGER problems.

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks. Will do. I did order a 50 amp circuit breaker, which is what the owners manual says to do, but I will check it out. Again, thanks.

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 2:21 pm

The fishing line around the prop happened to me last year. I think I had a whole spool on there

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Also check you connections you may be shorting out somewhere.Worn insulation or a loose connection that shorts out.

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 4:19 pm

wacoachk

Thanks. Will do. I did order a 50 amp circuit breaker, which is what the owners manual says to do, but I will check it out. Again, thanks.

If it had never tripped before with the 40 amp fuse and now it is........ something has changed and needs attention

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 8:28 pm

wacoachk

My 55 lb thrust (12 volt) Motor Guide tripped the 40 amp circuit breaker 3 times today. The "head" piece was replaced a year ago so this is virtually a new motor. I wired a new Lowrance fish finder yesterday, which should have nothing to do w/today's issue seeing as they're not, in any way connected, wired or otherwise (I use a separate battery for the trolling motor). My question is, does this tripping the circuit breaker indicate a problem w/the motor or is it a broken circuit breaker? It has worked, virtually, flawlessly w/that 40 amp circuit breaker since its replacement last year, that is, until today. All help is appreciated. Thanks

A 12 VOLT TROLLING MOTOR DRAWS CLOSE TO 1 AMP PER POUND OF THRUST, A 24 VOLT USES HALF THAT. THE 55 12V DRAWS RIGHT AROUND 42 AMPS ON TOP SPEED, I'M VERY SURPRISED YOU HAVENT BLOWN THIS BREAKER ALOT MORE. DEFINITELY UPGRADE TO THE 50 AMP, COULD BE CORROSION ON THE BREAKER THAT IS COMPROMISING HOW MANY AMPS IT CAN HANDLE.

JUST SOME ADDITIONAL INFO IF YOU CHECK THE AMP HOUR RATING ON YOUR BATTERY, TAKE THAT NUMBER AND DIVIDE IT BY THE 42 AMPS (MAX DRAW) THE SUM YOU COME UP WITH IS HOW LONG YOU CAN RUN THE MOTOR FOR ON TOP SPEED BEFORE THE BATTERY WILL DIE...JUST IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 pm

http://www.basspro.com/Marnico-Switchable-Reset-Circuit-Breakers/product/97362/

make sure you purchase a MANUAL reset breaker auto reset breakers are dangerous that thing resets with your hand in the prop = disaster

the link above is the one I have, never have had a problem, its more expensive than the little sealed box units but well worth the money

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice. I did go ahead and order a 50 amp circuit breaker and will install it promptly. I contacted the Motor Guide people and their advice was to remove the Big Foot switch because, and I don't know the details, it works against what the VariMax process does and can/will damage the motor. Just so you know, Neil the advice you gave about the battery power vs. use, etc. was reminiscent of my high school math experience and I broke out in a nervous sweat, but thanks anyway. I did remove the switch and, even w/the 40 amp circuit breaker still on, the tm worked perfectly for 5 hours on an electric motor only pond in the neighborhood. By the way caught 3 nice lgmth off of beds.

Posted Wed May 08, 2013 7:11 am

khaskins

Also check you connections you may be shorting out somewhere.Worn insulation or a loose connection that shorts out.

Great advice. I checked the wires and one of the connections from the tm plug to the connecting wire to the battery was a little loose. I tightened it and along w/removing the Big Foot switch seemed to do the trick . . . I hope. Thanks, again.

Posted Wed May 08, 2013 7:15 am

Same here. Keep that math to yourself

Posted Wed May 08, 2013 7:16 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links