Plan on fishing here on thursday with a buddy, however we'd be fishing from shore. Is there any good shore fishing spots, or should we maybe look for a different lake/pond? It's about an hour drive -- but I hear some lunkers lurk here and i've never fished it

Rolling Eyes

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:16 am

To the right of the boat ramp there is a long stretch of shoreline that is very accessible for shore fishing.

It's not shaded at all though and there is limited cover. All the good cover/stumps are towards the back of the pond. That being said I've caught loads of fish shore fishing there. No lunkers though.

I'm not sure it's worth an hours drive to shore fish.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 am

That stretch of shoreline I normally do well on there is a dead end road that leads to a spot where some stumps are also a smaller pond right on the other side of that area

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:49 am

If you're driving from an hour away then forget it. In my mind it's just not a shore fishing friendly lake. Too much brush and debris surrounding the place. You would be limiting yourself to only fishing a small area of the lake. Much better if you got a canoe or small boat. Drive another 30 minutes northwest and you got Wachusett Res which has miles of fish-able shoreline and just about every species of fish in it. Or you could fish the Sudbury Res. You will be doing yourself a huge disservice by fishing A-1 from shore. Kind of like when you go fishing and the fish are jumping in the middle of the lake and you can't cast far enough to reach them.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:30 pm

I fish from shore only and know of a couple of good spots but not much more than that I live only 20 minutes away and find myself fishing the Sud only 5 min away and great bass in there if you know where to look,or Chauncey I will fish it just to change it up because there is lunkers to be had but very limited.If I had kayak or canoe or car topper that would be the place to be.Not worth the hr drive.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:12 pm

its a great place if you have a boat its flipping wood all day

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:18 pm

the water is higher this year and the stumps are not showing, be careful out there.

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 am

badlarry

I fish from shore only and know of a couple of good spots but not much more than that I live only 20 minutes away and find myself fishing the Sud only 5 min away and great bass in there if you know where to look,or Chauncey I will fish it just to change it up because there is lunkers to be had but very limited.If I had kayak or canoe or car topper that would be the place to be.Not worth the hr drive.

'

first off, thank you guys for the input!

never had fished the Sud, I do pass it on I-90 west on my way to work, any places you can recommend to start some shore fishing there?

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 9:11 am

The causway off rt 9 on White bagley rd is a decent place to start I would have take you to some of my better spots and some I just don't reveal unless you are a close friend but let me know some time always looking for new people to fish with.Most days great to fish with someone else but sometimes enjoy some time to myself.I would say one more week and the Sud will be worth the trip just starting to heat up.Caught my first smallies of the season 2lber and 2 other bass couple days ago that were both over 2.Hard to explain spots if you are not familiar with area

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 6:35 pm

oldfisher

the water is higher this year and the stumps are not showing, be careful out there.

Ha! Even when the water is low and you can see the stumps there are still tons of them just below the surface. It can certainly be a tricky place to navigate, that's for sure.

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 pm

the water is higher this year and MORE stumps are not showing, be careful out there.

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 7:07 pm

I too will be there tomorrow. I plan on 9:00 am after I get my son off to school.
A-1 is a place where a Yak (my case a pirouge) works best if you want to get right in the thick of it all. Its a lot of paddling but worth it at times.

PJ

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Spent all morning there.. the water level is higher than last year..the bite was not on today.. 3 Pickerl, no Bass
Several others out there today as well all said the same thing.

Back in the back wooded areas the crud is growing in good and limits any spinning baits...ughhhh I guess another day!

PJ

Posted Thu May 02, 2013 5:32 pm

I also decided at last minute to take a chance here. 7:30 til 10 got 2 bass on jigs and 1 on a worm. water is also dirtier than last year. I was in the green canoe didn't recognize you.

Posted Thu May 02, 2013 6:10 pm

ended up staying local, caught nothing but pickerel and some panfish... another day indeed!

Posted Thu May 02, 2013 6:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links