Do you use a leader on flipping stick that is lined with braid?
Yes
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
No
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 11

I personally don't, I don't like having
Potential knots to fail. Going out tomorrow and since the pads and weeds won't be in heavy presence Ill mostly be flipping lay downs over hangs and docks, so possibly a leader needed?

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:25 pm

no leader ever for me. If i am worried about water clarity I switch from Braid to 17lb floro.

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 pm

stratos1966

no leader ever for me. If i am worried about water clarity I switch from Braid to 17lb floro.

Yeah I have similar set up. I have a 6'8 jig and plastic rod and reel set up with 17

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:00 pm

stratos1966

what he said.

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:08 pm

My personal choice, I don't really like flouro for a main line because of its memory. So I'll tie a flouro leader onto my braid using a modified albright knot (alberto knot).

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:10 am

Well i agree on the actually flipping a getting a reaction strike. You don't need a leader. I actually prefer leaders just for confidence and i like using braid as main line for it's sensitivity and the fluro for a it's visibility and i like a little bit of stretch. I usually make a leader pretty long leader. 5+ feet. I make it long enough so i can flip without getting the knot stuck in the guides. If the fish aren't smacking it after 7 secs of the flip. I would use a leader especially if the water is some clear. The other day when i went flipping half the bites didn't seem like reaction, or at least to me. I would pitch my jig an dead stick it for awhile and the bites all ranged in time and how long it took the bass to move outta cover to take the bait. If i was using braid in the clear water i was fishing i almost guarantee i would of not caught nearly the amount of fish let alone the quality ones. So im a believer in using fluro for most BOW around me.

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:07 am

NEVER! 65lb powerpro straight to the hook very rarely if ever do they look at it, they just eat it

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:45 pm

sinista

NEVER! 65lb powerpro straight to the hook very rarely if ever do they look at it, they just eat it

agree 100% except i stick with 50lb power pro cause i can pitch with it easier ,for some reason the one time i spooled up with 65lb it seemed as though i couldnt pitch smoothly and got lots of birdsnests but i rarely if ever have that issue with 50. no leader ever ,the one time i tried a fluoro leader i went to set the hook as the fish spit the bait and i ended up hooking a thick blade of marsh grass and while trying to pull my hook out the 20 lb fluor leader i had tied on snapped an inch below the knot leaving my trokar ,a punch skirt, and 1/2 oz tungsten in the water all of which were brand new hadnt even got a fish on them yet so i was pissed about losing a rather pricey setup due to line integrity.depending on my line color wether it be the almost lime greenish color of super 8 slick or the moss greeen of the standard power pro i will usually take a black sharpie and color a series of lines and dashes on my line for about 4 or 5 feet to break up the outline, if the fish does manage to see the bait before it bites it wont see a solid piece of line just a few sections of line with what appears to be shadows every 1/4 inch or so. maybe unnecessary but its a confidence booster for me and i even do this camo coloring on my braid on froggin stick.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:58 pm

on a side note if i know i will be flippin around wood piles or lay downs i will leave the braid at home and bring a reel spooled with 17lb fluoro cause ive made the mistake of flippin around wood with braid and it aint fun when you lose a fish cause you got hung up on sunken timber and your braid digs in like a chainsaw lol. fluoro just kinda glides over wood and brush with very little resistance unlike braid

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links