Curios if anybody has been on the Q yet. Spent alot of time and money there last season hunting down my newest addiction the silver bullet, only to find out that the smelt population decided to take the aqaducts to wachusett. Skinny fish and no pattern for finding them. That being said I still had a ball exploring this immense body of water and caught some nice rainbows/ lake trout/ landlocked/ smally's. If anyone has ventured out there, please post a little nugget of info about the conditions this season. I am getting the boat ready today and am going to try to get out there mid week with my son. I'm a newbe to the site but not to the water and will post my results to let you know what adventures worked this season.
Any info would be greatly appriciated
Thanks Chris

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:33 pm

I am not sure when it opens, I guess soon? I hit it in the dog days of summer myself.

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:41 pm

It opened yesterday

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:46 pm

shawneramone

It opened yesterday

Well there ya go! Thanks Shawn.

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:47 pm

It opened Saturday. Heading out tomorrow to Gate 43. Usually do well trolling right on the surface when the water is cold. Use planer boards and down riggers down just a few feet. Will give you some feedback after our trip.

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:48 pm

No prob. I hope to get out there soon

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:48 pm

What is it like to launch at the quabbin? Some had told me that you need some type of inspection before they let you in. I always wanted to go there but wasn't quite sure where to put in. (Kayak)

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:38 am

This is from the DCR website...

Canoe and Kayaks
Due to concerns with aquatic invasive species being carried from one water body to another, private canoes and kayaks are no longer allowed to be launched at Quabbin Reservoir. However canoe and kayak rentals are available on a first come-first serve basis at Boat Launch areas #2 and #3 for use on the regulating ponds at those areas. All boating regulations for Quabbin Reservoir apply to these craft

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:44 am

canoes and kayaks were only allowed above the Hardwick dam and in Pottapaug Pond, not on the main body of water. you had to pay a fee for your own but now you can only rent theirs. neither place was/is worth the trip or the money. although the pond area in hardwick had some good fish.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks guys I appreciate the info

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:07 am

You must have your boat checked and cleaned by DCR either by a cold weather check wich has past or a hot water rinse and motor flush to gain a boat seal from DCR. These boat Inspection are done by appointment only and on limited dates in the spring for a fee. Once your boat is sealed you cannot use it in any other body of water, The seal is attached to to your trailer and your boat via a cable and band, In order to launch your boat you must cut the cable wich DCR does and then gets reattached when you leave. I believe that the MAX HP is 25
Thanks for the info on the Q, Please post any results you have this week
Thanks

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links