Anybody ever dip a line in either of these spots?

I remember seeing giant carp in Leverett when I was a kid... Was wondering if either of these spots held bass though...

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 pm

I dipped a line in Wards once about 25 years ago. It's very weedy but has bass and pickerel though it's also quite shallow. Both ponds are fed by Jamaica pond and are the headwaters to the Muddy River. When I lived in the Back Bay and later JP I would fish Jamaica Pond fairly frequently but never ventured down the Emerald Necklace. As a commuter I've driven along both sides frequently and cannot remember ever seeing a fisherman. Now that I'm a bit older and wiser I think both are worth checking out, as well as the connecting waterways.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks. Definitely a lot of pedestrian traffic at Leverett... Very shallow over there too. Have tossed a couple different types of lures there, but to no avail... Really hope there are some largemouths in there though.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:47 pm

i'm pretty sure there aren't unless they wash down and actually survive in that mess. ever heard of a bass in leverett but definitely carp and i believe pickerel. it's just so shallow and dirty.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 pm

I live in Brookline on the Olmstead Ponds. Big carp for sure. Bass in the lower pond were awesome a few years ago. Bunches of 3-3.5 pound fish. There was some chemical spills that drained into it a couple of years ago and since then I have not seen any bass. Worth a shot.

Jamaica Pond has some cows in it. Caught a 7 pounder there 7-8 yrs ago from row boat. Can only shore fish or rent row boats. No real bass pressure...and they chow on the trout and craws.

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:07 pm

i live in brookline as well. the muddy river has some huge carp that's for sure. JP is good from the rowboat. the only problem is rowing all over the place gets tiring ha

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Good spots for carp, I never had any luck with bass.

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links