I'm going to try to catch my first shad this year.

Are they running now or does the water need to warm up?

Going to use shad darts. Any other lures I can use????

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:17 am

I usually catch them in Lawrence whe the cherry trees start to bloom. Be careful about lead darts. Willows work good.

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:55 am

These are tin! It says on the package! I got eagle claw 1/16 oz.

I got 4 pound test leader. On 10lbs test ice braid. I'm using my ice fishing spinning reel!

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:02 pm

Supposedly night fishing for them is better than the day! Rolling Eyes

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Like univland said, in Lawrence is where I get them, pretty much any where down river from the Lawrence falls. Make sure you have some heavier lead free weights to add to your line. Some times the shad are down deeper and the tin darts won't be able to get down there with the fast current.

I sell bismuth darts which are much heavier than pure tin. But probably cost more than what you paid for yours.

Check them out at www.suckerpunchbaits.com

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm fishing the north river and Indian head river. Lawrence is a long haul for me

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Those look awesome Joey. May order from you soon. Back to work on Monday after a 4 month layoff. Will be good for the pocket, but is gonna interfere with my fishing....was bummed about the whole lead eal for shad darts.

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:11 pm

I saw a youtube video of a guy who took a deep diving crank and took the hooks off and just tied to where the back hook is and put a leader off of that to use as a down rigger thought it was kind of cool

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:35 pm

univland

Those look awesome Joey. May order from you soon. Back to work on Monday after a 4 month layoff. Will be good for the pocket, but is gonna interfere with my fishing....was bummed about the whole lead eal for shad darts.

never seen that before but pretty awesome idea!

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:25 am

Earliest I've caught shad was April 15th on the Merrimack River many years ago at Rocks Village. Not many people know that this area is considered the ocean from the mouth all the way up to the I-495 overpass because of the tidal influence. You are okay with using lead shad darts from here to the I-495 overpass because the lead ban pertains to inland freshwater only not saltwater. Just remember after 495 bridge in Haverhill it is freshwater.

I also suggest using a gold hammered willow leaf spoon. I hardly ever use shad darts because the spoon outfishes the dart in my opinion.

They should be running any week now. Can't wait to see the rod bend and the drag peel off.

Posted Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:03 pm

I got an ultra light setup with 10lbs ice power pro. With 4lbs test leader!!

It's going to be fun catching my first on ultra light tackle

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:02 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links