New to the area and looking for areas to fish around Methuen Mass.Will be fishing out of my kayak.Would appreciate all input...Thx

Posted Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:09 am

lake attish is real good i think its off of rt110 not sure you can google it

Posted Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:13 am

semperfi

lake attish is real good i think its off of rt110 not sure you can google it

Do you mean Attitash? Great place in Amesbury. Look it up on the Mass dep't. of fish & game site. I use to fish the Merrimac R. from the Lawrence ramp. Little sketchy, as I remember it, but pretty good fishing. Another good place is Cochituate in N. Andover.

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm in West Newbury. There are so many great fishing spots in our area that I find myself each year saying, "Damn, we didn't get to fish this spot and that spot enough times this year". Merrimack River, Attitash, Millvale Reservoir, Chadwick Pond, Johnson's Pond, numerous southern NH spots.....the list goes on and on. THe species are plentiful also....LM, SM, big carp on the Merrimack, several ponds stocked with trout several x's per year, shad.....whew!

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:23 am

You will not be disappointed with Lake Cochichewick, serious lunkers there and it's not over fished (water supply/no gas motors). Now if they would open up The Artichoke Reservoir in Newburyport to small watercraft...

For West Newbury folks, anyone catch anything in Indian Hill Reservoir? I was reading there's an old state record for Crappie from there. I have only seen panfish and a dying catfish there. Mill Pond isn't too bad, great for dogs/horses/kids (frogs!), saw an old timer pull a 3'lber from shore there too.

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:00 am

fishingwithkids

You will not be disappointed with Lake Cochichewick, serious lunkers there and it's not over fished (water supply/no gas motors). Now if they would open up The Artichoke Reservoir in Newburyport to small watercraft...

For West Newbury folks, anyone catch anything in Indian Hill Reservoir? I was reading there's an old state record for Crappie from there. I have only seen panfish and a dying catfish there. Mill Pond isn't too bad, great for dogs/horses/kids (frogs!), saw an old timer pull a 3'lber from shore there too.

That's right . . . it's Lake Cochichewick in N. Andover. Cochituate is in the Newton/Wayland area. Sorry.

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:26 am

Shhhhhhhhh.....don't say a word about Indian Hill Res (nothing here folks, move along now!). I know for a fact Mill Pond has a few fish bigger than 6. THe Artichoke is fun... especially if you like pickerel.

Hey Fishingwithkids....if you would like to see a photo of a crappie from the Res, check my profile! Caught on a swimbait.

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:52 am

Shhhhhhhhh.....don't say a word about Indian Hill Res (nothing here folks, move along now!).

It's too funny because on some maps it's not even labelled, no one would even think of going there. It's certainly not under fishing pressure, been there numerous times with the kids, didn't see anyone. I'll show my son the crappie, thanks, now that I see it, I can believe a record came out of there.

Mill Pond is fantastic when I don't feel like traveling, and the kids will spend hours chasing frogs (son will bait them), wife doesn't mind it either, brings the dog, so even better. I did see a large ominous looking snapper swimming underwater near the shoreline once.

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:02 pm

The bass in my photo was caught in our area also. 24", 17 1/2" girth....only damn time fishing without a scale in 30 years!

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:36 pm

The bass in my photo was caught in our area also.

I think I recognize the shoreline of where that "area" is. ;~)

If it is, there's some hiking trails across from that spot and a small damn (about 30ft high) to your right if you face the water?

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:55 am

Skip Attitash and do Tuxbury Pond down the street. Chadwick Pond on Boxford Haverhill line, Lake Cochicawick in North Andover, Plugs Pond in Haverhill, Round Pond in Haverhill - I have caught lunkers in all of these ponds routinely.......Good luck.

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:06 am

Hey Fishingwithkids.....you got it correct! Great place for quality fish.

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links