Anyone ever fish willsboro bay on lake champlain. going for a long weekend this year. Any tips would help.

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:32 am

Don't generally get to NY but the Navionics WebApp gives a pretty good picture.

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:27 am

There is a GREAT book out there by Dale Brown called Fishing lake Champlain. While it is not specific to the bay you asked about, it has everything you need to know on how to approach Champlain. I found it super helpful.

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 am

Dale Brown's book is excellent, It has a lot of info in it, andcovers the lake from top to bottom

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:40 am

Or should I say North to South

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:40 am

im going on a trip to champlain later this year. anybody have any suggestions for baits i should bring?. probably going to be fishing light or medium on shore

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 am

Champlain is one of those lakes where you can throw a top water all day. In the a.m. just before the sun comes up. during the day. But during the day you need a little cloud cover, or a ripple on the water. Usually there is always a ripple. Both largemouth and Smallmouth will hit them. If you have never been to champlain before, you will be in for a treat. Hook up, and Hold on. This lake is one of the best in the country. Another bait to use is a 5" Kalins Avacado or Green pumpkin Grub Hooked on a 1/8 oz ballhead or darter head. Hit the bottom, and bring it back with small rod tip shakes, just moving it a few inches at a time, and try not to lift it up off the bottm, kind of drag it. Of course, everything in the world will hit a senko, again green pumpkin, watermellon red or black. Don't be afraid to dip them in a little bit of scent. The water in the south end is stained to dark, where the water in the north is clearer. If you're north, dip the tails of the grubs in chartruse garlic dye. The smallies love them

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 am

If I were to pick just one go to bait for Lake Champlain, it would be a Charlie Brewer slider grub (smoke) on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz. Ball jig. You will catch just about everything Pike, Perch, Bass, Walleye, Rockies,Bowfin,Sheepshead ect.

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:39 am

looks like i'll have to head over to a tackle store. thanks guys.

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 pm

lake champlain is definetly a favorite of mine. you can fish almost any cover you want from thick weeds too reefs and ledges or flipping docks and timber all day. topwater on champlain is nothing short of amazing. huge numbers and quality of both smallies and largies. my favorites are flipping docks and the bridges with dragin baits softplastics and drop shottin the reefs for smallies

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:52 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links