Hi, I'm hoping I can get some advice on the line(s) I should be using on some of my setups. I'm just going to list a couple of them and the line I'm thinking about using.

Any advice, feedback is greatly appreciated.

Frog/Light Punching Setup

For this I am planning on using 50lb PowerPro but I'm not sure which color. I would like to use Red since it would look pretty sweet on the setup (Abu Vendetta/Revo SX) but I'm not set on that.

Is Red OK for this application? Seems like it would be OK since the bite is more of a reaction bite. Would I be better off with Green?

Drop Shot

I'm new to this technique so I don't have a great idea of what I should use. My thoughts were to use 8lb Seaguar Fluoro. Good idea?

My other thought was to use something like 20lb PowerPro with just a Fluoro leader. What's your line look like on this setup?

Generic Cranking

I'm just looking for a generic setup to use for cranking. Last year I had 30lb PowerPro on this setup. It caught me some very nice fish but I was thinking I should switch to Fluoro. Or at least a Fluoro leader?

Jig/Worm Rod

I've been using 30lb PowerPro on this for some time and it seems to work. I didn't really have any plans to switch it up. OK?

---
I've been basically tied to braid (get it? Tied) for the last couple of years because it so sensitive but I want to make sure I'm using lines that match the application.

Thanks for Reading

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 pm

jjbagoose

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some advice on the line(s) I should be using on some of my setups. I'm just going to list a couple of them and the line I'm thinking about using.

For this I am planning on using 50lb PowerPro but I'm not sure which color. I would like to use Red since it would look pretty sweet on the setup (Abu Vendetta/Revo SX) but I'm not set on that.

Is Red OK for this application? Seems like it would be OK since the bite is more of a reaction bite. Would I be better off with Green?

Drop Shot

I'm new to this technique so I don't have a great idea of what I should use. My thoughts were to use 8lb Seaguar Fluoro. Good idea?

My other thought was to use something like 20lb PowerPro with just a Fluoro leader. What's your line look like on this setup?

Generic Cranking

I'm just looking for a generic setup to use for cranking. Last year I had 30lb PowerPro on this setup. It caught me some very nice fish but I was thinking I should switch to Fluoro. Or at least a Fluoro leader?

Jig/Worm Rod

I've been using 30lb PowerPro on this for some time and it seems to work. I didn't really have any plans to switch it up. OK?

---
I've been basically tied to braid (get it? Tied) for the last couple of years because it so sensitive but I want to make sure I'm using lines that match the application.

Thanks for Reading

ok so for your frog setup im gonna jump on a limb and say even though i wouldnt be choosing lines based on color i think if its only for topwater'froggin you should be all set as you stated before its a quick reaction bite your getting and worst cae scenario you can use a black sharpie to color some dashes every couple inches on the last 4 feet or so of line to break up the outline, i had to do this with my frog setup cause i use 50lb power pro super slick and its that crappy lime green color so i camo'd the end of it just in case.

dropshot: im no dropshot expert but what i personally have used the few times i did drop shot was 15 lb power pro with a 8 lb trilene fluoro leader and a vmc spinshot hook and that worked great for me but again ive only really ever took the dropshot rig out a handful of times so what worked for me may sound totally assanine to those that are proficiant drop shotters.

cranking: you should be using either mid to heavy (10-20lb) fluoro for deep cranks or even 15lb mono for shallow or square bills but i break this rule of thumb most f the time cause i hate losing cranks to rocks and logs and where i fish cranks most of the time is shallow (6feet at most) and bottom is loaded with rock piles and logs so i crank with 50 lb power pro alot of the time unless im going to clear water. you wouldnt catch me dead cranking for wachusett smallies on anything other than fluoro.

as for jigs i use 15-17 lb vicious fluoro for my jig rod, its heavy enough to give me confidence to not be losing my jigs whn dragging them around debris covered lake bottoms , sensitive enough to feel most light bites and is obviously less visible than braid or mono. if im pitching jigs to slop then thats a different story though, i use 50 lb power pro for that unless im flipping around heavily wooded areas then ill pitch with anywhere from 20 to 25 lb fluoro cause braid cuts into wood and gets stuck where as the fluoro kinda just drags over and threw it.

as with everything there is no "set in stone" rule of line and what works for elite pros dosent necessarily work for every average joe so when i get made fun of for cranking with heavy braid just because kvd's love slave says i should be using fluoro i say well its what has worked great for me and i use what i have confidence in

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 pm

also even though i chimed in with my own opinion the article that biggz posted is gold and will help you alot so give it a read

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:55 pm

biggz53

This helped me immensely

http://www.bassfishin.com/blog/fishing-line-guide/

Awesome article, thanks for sharing.

bassinbrooksy, thanks for the detailed writeup. I appreciate the input.

I'd like to figure out what I want to use this year so I don't waste money on line I'll soon stop using Smile

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 pm

jjbagoose

Drop Shot

Generic Cranking

Jig/Worm Rod

---

Thanks for Reading

frog/punch: Good to go. Color does not matter. red turns to black 6" under the water.

Drop shot: either one works. the braid will give you more sensitivity. I use strictly floro. less knots = less to fail

Crankbait: Floro 100% You want "give" so the fish can "tak" the crankbait. Floro sinks and can add depth to your crankbaits diving ability

Jig/worm: I personally use 50lb braid 80% of the time and 15lb floro the other 20% in clear water found on the cape.

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:00 pm

stratos1966

frog/punch: Good to go. Color does not matter. red turns to black 6" under the water.

Drop shot: either one works. the braid will give you more sensitivity. I use strictly floro. less knots = less to fail

Crankbait: Floro 100% You want "give" so the fish can "tak" the crankbait. Floro sinks and can add depth to your crankbaits diving ability

Jig/worm: I personally use 50lb braid 80% of the time and 15lb floro the other 20% in clear water found on the cape.

Thanks for the info Stratos, I hoped you'd chime in Smile

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Frog/Punch: i don't think color matters for pure reaction strikes although i go with green for the frog. in general, green blends in better anyways and i have all green braid, so no need to switch. 50-65 lb. braid usually.

Drop Shot: 100% fluoro. i use 7 lb. sunline

Crankbait: i use fluoro here as well. usually 10-12 lb.

Jig/Worm: I'll substitute texas rig in here for jig but I usually use 12-17 lb fluoro when not pitching into heavy cover. Otherwise, back to the braid.

Posted Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:12 am

stratos1966

jjbagoose

Drop Shot

Generic Cranking

Jig/Worm Rod

---

Thanks for Reading

need I say anymore? NO its all listed here, good job Richard

Posted Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:22 am

Moss Green PowerPro 65 on the punch

Vanish 8lb floro on the drop shot

my only suggestions to this thread

Posted Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:23 am

Pline is amazing for light line fishing. 8 or 6lb Pline "flouroclear" is awesome on a drop shot or other finesse techniques. The 8lb literally cuts through light weeds and grass. Awesome know strength.

Posted Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for all the good info guys.

I really appreciate it. Coupled with the link that biggz53 posted I feel like I have a better handle on it now.

Posted Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:26 pm

biggz53

This helped me immensely

This is a really useful article. I'm probably not going to replace the braid on most of my reels but I do intend to start using flouro leaders on my crank and jerkbaits.

Posted Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:15 pm

berkleegrad

biggz53

This helped me immensely

This is a really useful article. I'm probably not going to replace the braid on most of my reels but I do intend to start using flouro leaders on my crank and jerkbaits.

I agree good article

Posted Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:22 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links