Ill be doing some open water/ice out pike fishing on the concord this weekend. My question is does anybody know if there are many open spots to fish from billerica down to concord (boat launches, docks, bridges, etc.) Im new to the river but would love to try and snag an early season pike. Thanks guys.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm not sure about the ice bro. I'm sure it's open in the middle, now. You've definitely come to the right spot for pikes though . Rivers loaded with them

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm not planning on ice fishing the concord. I want to fish rod and reel on open water with some dead mackerel to see if I can snag some early ice out pike. I'm glad your confident in the pike in there though. I'd love to tangle with a nice toothy terror. Thanks man

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:35 pm

I think what he meant was if you were shore fishing there might still be a lot of ice on the edges that you'd have to deal with. I hear that's a great pike fishery.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:54 pm

I fish it twice a week or so throughout the summer and fall, so I've been keeping an eye on it as I drive around town. (Billerica that is.)

This morning as I passed over it on route 3 between exit 27 and 28 and on 3A near treble cove, it looked like it was melted enough near the bridges that you could probably find a spot. I'm going to drive by the River St bridge tomorrow morning to check that spot out. I'll let you know what I see.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks a lot, any info is greatly appreciated

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:15 pm

That's what I did mean Sean, thanks man. I wasn't being clear enough, What I meant was I know you aren't thinking about ice fishing the river,( I woouldnt recommend that) wait two more weeks, you'll be fine. From shore or boat, should be set. Make sure If you launch out of Bedford on Carlisle road 225, head up stream towards 'rica ked.
( Billerica)that's the home stretch for your toothy ugly creatures !! Hqve fun

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Do you guys prefer fishing sinkers and a long leader on the concord or fishing bobbers and keeping the bait off the bottom a bit? Il be using dead 6 in mackerel do you guys have a preference or to that would work with the mackerel for the pike? Thanks

Posted Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 am

You could do that.. But if you're fishing from a boat, I would jut troll up and down with a black and gold crankbait.

Posted Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 am

Ill be going from shore mostly likely under a bridge or from the boat ramp, I won't be getting the boat put for a few more weeks

Posted Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:35 am

There was no ice whatsoever at the River St bridge, but the water levels were really high. There are some rocks on the sides of the bridge you could fish from.

The other two bridges I checked had 4 feet of ice or so coming off of the shoreline in spots, but the middle was wide open, and there were patches along the shoreline that were ice free.

Posted Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:28 pm

thanks alot for the update i appreciate it, I think ill be trying the river street bridge and the bedford road bridge throughout the day. Ill post some pictures if i snag any toothy monsters.

Posted Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Make sure to stomp on that bait before you toss it out.They seem to like a mushed bait better.

Posted Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:41 pm

well I've been out on the concord fishing mackerel with a bobber about 3 ft of the bottom. After about 3 hrs of fishing not even a bit yet. River is real high right now almost to the houses and roads on the sides of the river. Ill keep you guys updated if I get anything

Posted Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:05 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links