Contemplating a Revo SX or STX vs a Citica. I have a citica already and love it, but thinking of trying a revo too. Any input would be nice! Remember that it would be this years models of each.

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:23 am

Tackle warehouse is doing 25% off shimano

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 am

hahaha and abu. thats why im looking to compare.

or go with a curado 200G??

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:28 am

shawneramone

Tackle warehouse is doing 25% off shimano

This isn't good for my bank account Smile

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:43 am

biggz53

hahaha and abu. thats why im looking to compare.

or go with a curado 200G??

after taking apart every revo made in the last 4 years and just about every curado Im starting to lean more towards shimano than abu.

I think Shimano are a better build design but do have pieces like the Anti Reverse Pawl which tend to need replacing after a few years of heavy use, out of the last 5 I've opened 3 have needed to be replaced, Its only a 4$ part an it is an easy fix, besides that no other issues

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:02 am

the revo sx are so smooth and can cast a mile!! and they are so much lighter now and there drag system is the real deal and can hold up against any fishing condition

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:03 am

those Revo STX aren't gen 3 so they're heavier. i'm a fan of abu's for the drag and the gen. 3 are great b/c they're so light too but for 25% off and based on what you'll be throwing with it, i'd get the 200G.

some of these guys that are shimano experts can chime in more on the internal components and any differences on older and newer models. like the E vs. the G.

can someone explain again why people are saying the E is better than the G?

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 am

samf

those Revo STX aren't gen 3 so they're heavier. i'm a fan of abu's for the drag and the gen. 3 are great b/c they're so light too but for 25% off and based on what you'll be throwing with it, i'd get the 200G.

some of these guys that are shimano experts can chime in more on the internal components and any differences on older and newer models. like the E vs. the G.

can someone explain again why people are saying the E is better than the G?

By no means am I a shimano expert or do my opinions speak on behalf of shimano, this is just my experience

The G is .4 oz's lighter than the E which comes in at 7.6 ozs. besides that the E has the better specs. The E has 6BB and 1 RB to the G's 4BB and 1 RB, both handle the same amount of line, the E has a cold forged aluminum stag drag

Seems the G is made from some cheaper parts more than likely the reason it is a tad bit lighter than the E. However being lighter sometimes sacrifices quality

For Instance I recently rebuilt an older Curado 101B when Shimano built it they used a Magnesium Drive Gear which in many cases under pressure would sheer teeth off the gear (and Ive talked quite a few guys who wanted to send them for repair) Ive recently began using the drive gear from the 101dsv which is brass to repair the issue, It adds weight but is way more durable

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 am

I'm a Shimano guy but.... they are doing some strange stuff. With their reels they basically bumped the quality down one notch on all reels from Chronarch on down. The Chronarch is now the quality of the Curado, the curado is now the quality of the Citica and the Citica is one notch down from it's old self. They are going the other way with their rods. The Crucial now has the old Cumara blank so thats an upgrade. The Cumara now has the Cumulus blank, another upgrade..... weird!!!

Last edited by stratos1966 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 am

good information there. that's what i had heard. for comparison's sake, is this true too?

the chronarch 200E is basically the same as a CuradoE7 but with a silver paint job and higher price point? and that it's a step down from the older chronarch?

i'm not dissing shimano but want to keep the facts straight because i'm considering the baitcast reels and want to know what i'm actually getting. i love the spinning reels.

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:53 am

samf

good information there. that's what i had heard. for comparison's sake, is this true too?

the chronarch 200E is basically the same as a CuradoE7 but with a silver paint job and higher price point? and that it's a step down from the older chronarch?

i'm not dissing shimano but want to keep the facts straight because i'm considering the baitcast reels and want to know what i'm actually getting. i love the spinning reels.

Yep the do some strange stuff, the Shimano Scorpion MG 1000 Japanese Model is a Glorified Red Curado nothing different about it

Im a big fan of their spinning reels also

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Thats the way I see it Sam. Once upon a time the Chronarch was their "top of the line" reel. While they have made some major upgrades with their now top of the line reels, the chronarch is what the curado used to be. I believe that the Curado DHVS was $199 when it 1st came out and I believe the e7's were around there too but the e7's were not flying off the shelves and soon got a discount to around $169 I think.
So with todays Chronarch you are getting Curado quality ( which is great) at the old Curado price.

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:03 pm

stratos1966

So with todays Chronarch you are getting Curado quality ( which is great) at the old Curado price.

Seems like that Chronarch at $150 with the TW sale is a very good deal.

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:15 pm

jjbagoose

stratos1966

If I needed a reel right now I would be on that like White on Rice.

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:25 pm

stratos1966

jjbagoose

stratos1966

If I needed a reel right now I would be on that like White on Rice.

How bout you get a shovel and dig the slop sink out from under your porch and start working on a drain system....

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links