So it seems a lot of people replace stock hooks on crankbaits. Do you just have a variety of trebles to see what size best matches with what is stock or do you go up a size or down a size for any particular reason? Has anyone experimented with "bleeding" red hooks? Do you use them on both trebles or switch it up to alternate? What is the consensus on best after market trebles? Thanks fellas, Ive only ever used stock but have some starting to rust a little that need to be switched out.

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:25 pm

I can't really comment since i haven't changed stock hooks on my crankbaits. I see why though even on some of my expensive crankbaits. Some hooks just don't cut the cheese. I believe it also has to do with how the crankbait runs at a slightly different depths???? but please correct me if im wrong! I remember watching some video of KVD talking about changing hooks. heres a link to something similar

http://www.bassmaster.com/tips/changing-hooks

As to bleeding baits I've used them to a decent extent, but don't see any real difference. Thats just my two cents though.. Maybe someone with more experience can comment?

Last edited by lunkerhunter2366 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Bobby,

I pull out the crankbaits frequently, and I started changing out the back set of hooks on all deep cranks, shallow square bills and lipless cranks about a year ago. Not on jerk baits cause it throws off the suspend. I typically upsize the back set of hooks only since these the ones they hit when swiping at a bait. I prefer the mustad brand but probably any quality hooks would do.

Obviously no proof of the advantage, but I started once I lost a few lunker fish during the fight. My impression is that once I started using the bigger hooks and changing out that the hooks that the fish loss fell way off.

Shawn had a similar thread or comment a few months back.

Posted Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks guys. I knew I read somewhere to be careful changing hooks because of balance and suspend but missed the part of that being for jerks.

Posted Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:31 am

I always switch out the stock hooks if they're cheap. Some baits (rapala) come with nice hooks. I'll usually swap out the same size hooks but over the winter I did do a lot of upgrades using bigger hooks, short shanks (to avoid tangling) and the new VMC sure set on my deep cranks. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_Sureset_1X_Strong_Treble_Hook_4pk/descpage-VMCSRTR.html

I've used VMC, Mustad and Gamakatsu...all good. I love red hooks. Even though I took one through the finger last summer I still love them. I'll tell you what, that was a brand new hook and it went through my finger like a hot knife through buttah.

Posted Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:35 am

I usually swap out the hooks on my cranks and only use Gamu's and yes I'll put a red one on the front of the bait and usually use short shank for tangling reasons also I try to match the size to match stock so not to change anything in the balance factor.just pick up some 2'4'6' size hooks and you should be good to go

Posted Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:11 am

Yes you should always change ur hooks from the stock ones. I like the mustad hooks and tend to go up a size. Gotta make sure if your especially in a tournament your going to have the sharp hooks for holding on to those HOGS

Posted Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 am

i change them as well. KVD mustad triple grip. i don't go a size up, but will sometimes on the front of a jerkbait to add a little weight and keep it suspending nose down in cold water.

Posted Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 am

i use (most of the time) vmc blood red barbarian trebles and i replace almost all stock hooks on my cranks and certain jerks (not countdowns) if i have a smaller jerk that floats ill put bigger hooks on it to give it not only more casting weight but it will then tend to suspend rather than float which is just personal preferance. i also like to upgrade a size on many of my floating cranks to make them suspend (i dont particularly like floating cranks but i do like suspending) ive tried the kvd elite trebles and they are nice cause of the short shank so u can upgrade the size hook on a smaller bait without the hooks fowling from having too long a shank.

Posted Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Do you guys switch out all the split rings too?

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:29 pm

biggz53

I used the stock rings but I do have a bunch of oval ones that I'm meaning to use.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:32 pm

shawneramone

biggz53

I used the stock rings but I do have a bunch of oval ones that I'm meaning to use.

Wasn't sure and bought some anyway. Couldn't hurt I suppose

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:15 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links