I found baby lobsters at the beach today.
Bigger then your average crawfish and crawfish lure.
I'm going to mold them and make plastic lures.

This will also catch big stripers looking for a tasty meal.

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:37 pm

you know how to make a 2 piece silicone mold? i wouldnt try to make a plaster mold of that for a couple reasons 1: its cruel unless already dead lol , 2: you will be digging and scraping hunks of lobster shell out of your plaster mold for hours to get it all clean ready for casting. i would make a silicone mold you could even just do a single pour and just cut the mold in half after its cured to make a simple two part mold and it will take better detail of your lobster, last longer/hold up better than plaster molds,and once it eventually starts to crack and wear out you can fill it with plaster and then make a new silicone mold from that plaster casting ! dont use rtv silicone though cause its a pain in the ass, use a silicone thats actually made for mold making they usually come in 2 part chemical batches that you mix part x with part y to make part z . if you wanna try rtv silicone ( the clear 100% silicone you buy from home depot) give it a shot but because it requires moisture to cure what happens when you try to creat a mold with it is it forms a skin and then the inside never fully cures and ruins everything, if you do choose to try rtv you have to mix some glicerine ( can be bought for a buck at cvs beuaty department)in with it first (how much depends on size of your mold, google it) this will not only prolong the skin from forming but will also give the moisture needed to properly cure the whole mold inside out.how do i know this crap? i used to be a makeup artist and have thousands of hours sculpting and hundreds of hours making molds of said sculptures. its a tedious thought out process that with one wrong move can destroy hours,weeks or months worth of hard work. need any advice on the process google monster makers and look at the silicone molding process. good luck Smile

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Wouldnt keeping a baby lobster be considered retention of an undersized lobster.....therefore keeping one would be illegal

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm guessing it was dead. There was a pic in the paper of thousands of dead clams that washed up after the big storm

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:29 pm

prov1

Wouldnt keeping a baby lobster be considered retention of an undersized lobster.....therefore keeping one would be illegal

i agree with this comment but im also not a game warden so i wont tell if you dont Wink do what your gonna do just dont get cought lol

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:29 pm

shawneramone

I'm guessing it was dead. There was a pic in the paper of thousands of dead clams that washed up after the big storm

that would make sense but unfortunately it would probably still be considered illegal if kept. But if it was dead to begin with at least he is making use out of something that would just rot on the beach

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Don't worry guys. It was already dead. Tons of lobster tails and claws washed up. Rounds of dead fish to.
I hate seeing all these dead babies but why not take advantage of what the ocean gives you!
I wouldn't kill a baby lobster.
It would just rot or get eating by seagulls.
So we can all benefit from this guys.
Cuz if I start catching big bass you guys will want some!

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Are there any game wardens on MAFF?

I got Larry dahlberg soft plastic kit.
You can make a mold of any. You want cuz it gives you mold making supplies.

I've been looking for a small lobster lure to use for stripers on Lighter gear!

Last edited by bassturds on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:34 pm

bassturds

Are there any game wardens on MAFF?

I got Mary dahlberg soft plastic kit.
You can make a mold of any. You want cuz it gives you mold making supplies.

I've been looking for a small lobster lure to use for stripers on Lighter gear!

i hope not cause i went on and on about how im going to continue using my lead jigs on low key (game warden-less) waters lol. but hell yeah man id love to try them, how big of a lobstah is it? you know what you should do before you mold it? make it a rage lobstah lol. take a little oil based clay and sculpt a little water catching flap on top and bottom of each claw so that they flap around like crazy on the fall lol. actually second thought they are probably going to be to big and bulky for that to work so im thinking possible contender to the huddle bug! post pics if you mold it and end up casting a few baits from it id love to try some on a football jig or something like that.

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:06 pm

also this may sound a bit silly but it probably couldnt hurt to pose it the way you want then spray a few heavy clear coats over the whole thing before you mold it so that it dosent end up leaving a buttload of lobstah bits and chunks stuck to the inside of your mold and should also stiffen it up enough to hold the pose while the mold sets. good luck and if you have any questions on molding ,ect dont hesitate to ask. im not joe pro mold maker but as stated before i spent a few years making intricate molds for masks and latex prosthetics so ive done alot of trial and error

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:12 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links