At 7:25 a.m.Saturday, amidst overcast skies, and frigid temperatures hovering around 8 degrees, Groundhog Phil failed to see his shadow in the small town of Punxsutawney, Pa.

According to folklore, no shadow for Phil means “there will be an early spring.” Had Phil seen his shadow, it would have meant six more weeks of winter.

Since the Groundhog’s first prediction in 1887 (through 2012), Phil has seen his shadow 100 times and not seen it on just 16 occasions.

The official website of Punxsutawney Phil claims he has “of course” issued a correct forecast 100 percent of the time. But NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center says Phil’s forecasts have shown “no predictive skill” in recent years. AccuWeather finds the furry rodent has an 80 percent accuracy rate.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/groundhog-day-2013-no-shadow-for-punxsutawney-phil-so-springsaround-the-corner/2013/02/02/34e6e620-6c9c-11e2-bd36-c0fe61a205f6_blog.html

I'll take an 80% accuracy rate, woo hoo........Spring is coming!!!!

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:32 pm

I blame his lack of accuracy on global warming. His rodent brain hasn't factored that in. I'm hoping he's right as I want a February bass this year. In open water

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:42 pm

he better be right this year.

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:46 pm

shawneramone

I blame his lack of accuracy on global warming. His rodent brain hasn't factored that in. I'm hoping he's right as I want a February bass this year. In open water

that makes two of us!

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:48 pm

His 80% is a lot better than some of the meteorologists around here! I choose to believe!

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:53 pm

No doubt about that Roger.

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:03 pm

Based on Phil's report one of two things is going on...

He is either..

A) a liar ( because it still feels and looks like winter)

B) a bassfisherman (praying for a break in the weather)

Wait, Most all bass fishermen are liars, so I guess that makes Phil a bass fisherman!

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 pm

yee yee !!! go phil you filthy rodent bastard! cmon open water daddys got some jig fishin to do!! Very Happy

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 pm

sinista

He is either..

Wait, Most all bass fishermen are liars, so I guess that makes Phil a bass fisherman!

I wouldn't say most all are liars as much as I'd say exaggerators. Although there are some liars in there for sure.

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:21 pm

sinista

He is either..

im no liar.. i really did catch a 15lb larry but i dropped him in the water before i got a picture Wink

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 pm

I wonder what kind of roots Phil eats

Posted Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:19 am

Early spring hell yea!!!

Spring should start march first

Posted Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:03 pm

bassturds

Early spring hell yea!!!

Spring should start march first

+1

Posted Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:12 pm

MA Fish Finder