Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:36 pm

I don't buy it Exclamation Every living thing has to feel pain in order to survive. Why do the fish squirm and flop around when removing the hook Question I don't think it is because they are enjoying the experience Exclamation Laughing

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:51 am

I buy it. I believe a fish thrashes when caught because it is instinctively trying to escape a predator.... us. if you take the statement about feeding and resuming normal activity soon after being caught and you apply it to other living things we know feel pain, it is not the same. When humans, dogs, cats, ect get hurt, the last thing on their mind is feeding or grooming or making their bed. they go into a semi state of shock for lack of a better word. They shut down all normal activity.

What they are saying if a fishes brain is not advanced enough to process pain. They sense something is wrong but there is not true pain.

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 am

stratos1966

I buy it. I believe a fish thrashes when caught because it is instinctively trying to escape a predator.... us. if you take the statement about feeding and resuming normal activity soon after being caught and you apply it to other living things we know feel pain, it is not the same. When humans, dogs, cats, ect get hurt, the last thing on their mind is feeding or grooming or making their bed. they go into a semi state of shock for lack of a better word. They shut down all normal activity.

What they are saying if a fishes brain is not advanced enough to process pain. They sense something is wrong but there is not true pain.

I too agree.. our own brains are wired to receive pain signals from our bodies, however, the brain itself is not receptive to direct pain signal induction (meaning that it can be probed w/o pain)

It is the pain receptors our brain reacts to from connective tissues throughout our bodies (nerve ganglion branches) from our spinal cords react to alert the sympathetic nervous system that then alert the immune system to get a move on cuz something is not quite right...thats alot of brain power..heck if fish were that smart we would never catch em..
With a fish having such a small brain, I can see where the science had beneficial results on non pain reception or display of said pain on normal activities wired into the fish brain...

Strong stuff.. perhaps someone in Biotech will research this and may develop a new "fishvill" anti head ache pill that will compete with advill, motrin and tylenol...never say never!!
Very Happy

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm

I am no biologist by any means but the way it was explained to me years ago, they do not feel pain because they are cold blooded and do not have nerve endings to feel the pain......Besides I never heard any of them say ....OUCH....Actually I wish someone with the right background would elaborate on this....It's a very good question

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 pm

I was always told that they do in fact feel the pain but there are not as many sensitive nerve endings in their mouth because they have no arms. Now before you say wait a second brooksy what does having no arms have to do with it lol well look at it tjis way, a fish has no arms or hands for that matter so they have to use their mouth to feel tjings like when a person is bitten by a shark then let goits an exploratory bite cause they can't touch ypu with hands and say that's not food. So that being said feel less mouth pain then animals with arms and hands so they don't go into shock from the pain every time they bite something. If you had to use your mouth for everything it would be horrible if you felt excrutiating pain with every bite so nature makes your mouth less sensitive to pain to make up for it. Call me crazy but that's what I've been told and the reasoni g behind why I believe it

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 pm

That being said I've necer actually bothered to look it up so I may sound like a clueless 5 year old with that statement lmao

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:17 pm

I hope they don't feel pain as we do but I try to handle each fish as if they do. I now file down the barbs on all of the hooks on lures that I use for trout fishing because I release most trout and because they seem to be a more delicate fish than a bass. Whenever I have a bass that swallows the hook I cut off as much of the hook as possible with a long shanked pair of cutting pliers I purchased. I think this is easier on the fish than trying to extract the hook and causing a lot of damage. Any thoughts on this?

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:16 am

Because fish lack a neocortex they do not "feel pain". What they do is experience is stress. So lack of oxygen, long struggles at the end of a line & heat will cause fish to stress.

As for hooks...think of all the spines & bones that carnivorous fish have to deal with. As long as the fish is not gut hooked or foul hooked, catching them with hooks in the mouth should not harm them.

The same thing can be said for crabs & lobsters, they to lack a neocortex. So the most humane way of cooking them is to drop them head first into a pot of boiling water.

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:51 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links