Guy's.. last year my FJ2500 Shimano (the white one) got really abused by lot's of fish,..I was thinking about the Sustain SA4000.. any of you have this reel? Any insight or comparisons you might want to mention?

I am a spinning fisherman...never had any luck with a bait caster...lol

Thanks.

PJ

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:07 pm

I have had plenty of luck with a baitcaster, but you really need to buy a decent one to have any kind of luck. Spending $50 on one is a risky proposition. In regards to spinning equipment, it happens to be my favorite. Again, like baitcasters (or any type of reel for that matter), don't go real cheapo or you will regret it. I have been a longtime Shimano guy, starting with a Syncopate around 25 years ago. Now I'm not saying you need to purchase Stella, but somewhere in between seems to be best. I have two Stradics and three Saharas. The Stradics are a very nice real, but I think it is a bit of overkill, unless $ isn't a concern. The Saharas are a very good option. They are durable, have a very smooth drag, and instant anti-reverse. The only problem I have had was a broken o-ring in one of them, which was easily replaced. No matter which model you get, make sure you get the larger spool model, such as the 4000 series.

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:50 pm

I agree. Doesn't have to be top model, but somewhere in the middle or top 3rd is fine. Every time I bought cheap, I suffered with malfunctions and let downs of the reel. If I add up the price of say the last 3 cheapo reels I bought, I could have gotten a decent one and suffered far less aggravation. Even if you have to wait an extra week or two to get up the money, do it! If anyplace the old saying stands true of "you get what you pay for", it's when you buy a reel. You won't be sorry. This past year I bought a decent Revo baitcaster for more money than I normally would have spent in years past and was very happy with it. I'll be buying a decent Shimano spinning reel in this off season as well and will spend more than in the past again. Good luck and keep us posted!

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:07 pm

I too agree.. I have always bought quality over quantity.. the FJ2500 was $180 and the fish have stressed it quite a bit in a single season....thus the thread on the Shimano SA4000...looking at the reviews it gets top ratings..and is $350...a little more than I want to spend but if it holds up..why not!

Thanks for the replies

PJ

pocketfisherman

I agree. Doesn't have to be top model, but somewhere in the middle or top 3rd is fine. Every time I bought cheap, I suffered with malfunctions and let downs of the reel. If I add up the price of say the last 3 cheapo reels I bought, I could have gotten a decent one and suffered far less aggravation. Even if you have to wait an extra week or two to get up the money, do it! If anyplace the old saying stands true of "you get what you pay for", it's when you buy a reel. You won't be sorry. This past year I bought a decent Revo baitcaster for more money than I normally would have spent in years past and was very happy with it. I'll be buying a decent Shimano spinning reel in this off season as well and will spend more than in the past again. Good luck and keep us posted!

wnbassman

I have had plenty of luck with a baitcaster, but you really need to buy a decent one to have any kind of luck. Spending $50 on one is a risky proposition. In regards to spinning equipment, it happens to be my favorite. Again, like baitcasters (or any type of reel for that matter), don't go real cheapo or you will regret it. I have been a longtime Shimano guy, starting with a Syncopate around 25 years ago. Now I'm not saying you need to purchase Stella, but somewhere in between seems to be best. I have two Stradics and three Saharas. The Stradics are a very nice real, but I think it is a bit of overkill, unless $ isn't a concern. The Saharas are a very good option. They are durable, have a very smooth drag, and instant anti-reverse. The only problem I have had was a broken o-ring in one of them, which was easily replaced. No matter which model you get, make sure you get the larger spool model, such as the 4000 series.

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:34 pm

I'd get the stradic 4000. Great reel. The sustain is overkill in my opinion. Wait for bass pro to do the reel trade in and you can save $30 or so.

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:25 am

May I suggest the Stradic CI4. It is still a stradic but it's a step above the regular stradic. I hve a few stradics including the CI4 and the CI4 is an amazing reel. Go check them out.

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:08 am

I have the 3000 and used it all last year. I use it with a MH Loomis Rod and it is my worm rod. Its pretty bad ass, I hardly go fishing without it.

As for quality it really impressed me. Long story but the reel spent a night in a lake, after I fished it out the reel still worked flawlessly. Still haven't oiled it. The stradic is a great reel too, but if you can afford the upgrade you will not be disappointed.

I don't use the kickstand, but if you go on bumpy boat rides it could be very useful.

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49 am

stratos1966

May I suggest the Stradic CI4. It is still a stradic but it's a step above the regular stradic. I hve a few stradics including the CI4 and the CI4 is an amazing reel. Go check them out.

I didn't care for the CI4 I picked one up and went back to the FJ it felt to me like it was smoother than the CI

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:18 am

Well... I am "hooked".. I went to BPS today and tested the SA4000....at $350 I must say it was the smoothest reel I have ever worked.
Feb 22, 2013 they have the reel trade in and I can save $50 off the price.....now to get another St Croix to mount that puppy on..

Thanks for the input guys.

PJ

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:51 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links