OK, so I bought one of the smaller slammers last year. I don't plan on investing in a ton of large baits
right now but would like to have a couple to throw throughout the season.

Should I buy a reel just for this application? Like a Cardiff or a Ambassador? Or can I get away throwing these on something like a qualifier or similar?

From previous questions, I'm assuming the recommendation would be to invest in a swimbait setup, if so what should I go with?

These are some of the options on sale right now:

SHIMANO CDF300A Cardiff Casting Reel - about $85
Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C3 Baitcasting Reel - about $85
SHIMANO CVL300 Corvalus Casting Reel - about $70

Any specific model recommendations within the above?

thanks for any info.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:06 am

When you say smaller slammer, do you mean the mini or the 7"?

The 7" (3oz. or so) and up, should have a dedicated swimbait setup. I use a Okuma Musky XH rod paired with a Cardiff 301 for my swimbaits. Never had an issue and plenty of back bone to throw bigger baits. FWIW, I throw baits as big as 8 to 10 oz. on this setup with no problems.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:11 am

7" 1.8 oz.
9" 2.4 oz.

The Cardiff was the first reel I used to throw swimbaits and it gets the job done. I use a Curado 301E now and love it. I have heard the Daiwa Lexa's are decent too.

You can get away with using a low profile baitcaster for that bait but will wear it out very quickly. A BPS Qualifier would not last long.

I recommend getting a setup strictly for swimbaits.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:19 am

jbigun

7" 1.8 oz.
9" 2.4 oz.

Woops, I had the 12" weight.

Thanks for clarifying.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 am

Yes I was referring to the 7" Slammer. Thanks for the info.

I used it at the end of the season on a cheap casting setup and it was difficult but not impossible.

I guess I'm on the fence about spending money on a setup just for Swimbaits. Trying to justify the purchase.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:24 am

jbigun

I recommend getting a setup strictly for swimbaits.

Thanks jbigun.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 am

jjbagoose

I used it at the end of the season on a cheap casting setup and it was difficult but not impossible.

I guess I'm on the fence about spending money on a setup just for Swimbaits. Trying to justify the purchase.

Once a monster grabs a swimbait, you'll feel justified. Then the fever starts and it becomes an obsession. You'll be hooked in no time. LOL!

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 am

jjbagoose

Definitely worth it to make the investment. If you use them under the right conditions you will catch more big fish period. I am no expert but throw them often with good results for 3-7lb fish. I'm still learning how to incorporate them into tournaments which is fun. I experimented this year with mixed results but have found a happy medium.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:33 am

If the reel is a little under powered just use the rod as the work horse. Work the bait with the rod and not he reel. Had to do this for a while last season when my reel went down didnt have any problems.

Last edited by jcotier on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:17 am

I remember the first time i casted a swimbait on my BPS JM Carbonlite reel. HAHAHA i thought the reel was going to explode! Was a very dumb idea... definitely invest in a reel that can handle big baits.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 pm

thats a good price for that cardiff

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:10 pm

I like the cardiff, great reel for the price. Ive had mine dor 4+ yrs wirh no problems.. Tossin slammers to hudds to spro bbzs

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:19 pm

If you are still looking for a reel and considering the Cardiff. Walmart.com has the 400A for $89.00 shipped to store. to me you can't beat that price for a decent SB reel.

The reviews on Cardiffs are good, they aren't the top of the line Calcuttas but I have read that they use calcutta parts insde. Check out tackle Tour reviews on the Cardiff.

I have a curado 300e and like it but picked up the cardiff 400A b/c of the lower gear ratio 5.2 (I believe).

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:30 pm

redleg09

If you are still looking for a reel and considering the Cardiff. Walmart.com has the 400A for $89.00 shipped to store. to me you can't beat that price for a decent SB reel.

Bummer, I don't see that price anymore. For that price I'd jump on it now that I've decided to get a Swimbait setup.

I have plenty of time so I'm going to wait until a good clearance sale comes around.

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:57 pm

It is still there for that price

here is the link copy and paste into your browswer. if that doesn't work google CARDIFF 400A and search for Walmart and the $89.00 price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15550353?adid=22222222227000632136&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

I just did it to confirm it was there.

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links