Finally caught myself a winter bass! Nice 4 pounder too. Had to drop my nephew at his christmas play earlier today had maybe a 10 minute window to cast into the pond next to the school, popular fishing spot. I figured since the sun broke through, and the temp was near 50 I'd give it a shot.

I had a few rods with me, one with a jerk bait setup and another with a spinnerbait. Took a few casts with the spinnerbait.... felt like I was hitting bottom, but felt somewhat like tugs. I decided to let it play with it a bit and for the hell of it set the hook. Turns out I was pulling a fish in... maybe because they're winter bass, but this fish had barely any fight. Was shocked at the size when I brought it in, really thought it was going to be a medium size fish caught up in some weeds, but turned out to be one of the bigger fish I've pulled out of there! Felt amazing to catch a fish, I've had the itch for the last couple of weeks.

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Nice Exclamation Yeah, most bass are quite sluggish in the cold water and sometimes it is hard to tell that a fish is on the line. If I feel any resistance at all I assume it is a fish and put the pressure on! Laughing

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:44 am

going out in a little while for a couple hours .Hope to get a bite or two ,looking at the future forecast open water might not be around for too long if they right.Need to get out in the boat before it gets hard. no ice fishin for this guy!

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:46 am

I'm with ya' Al. Ice is for skating & I'm not fond of that as well. Reason we moved (well, my reason. Can't speak for my spouse) to the Cape. Last year, first time I've fished, on the boat, every month. So cool . . . !

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:16 am

wacoachk

I'm with ya' Al. Ice is for skating & I'm not fond of that as well. Reason we moved (well, my reason. Can't speak for my spouse) to the Cape. Last year, first time I've fished, on the boat, every month. So cool . . . !

That's awesome... hows the action later in the season?

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:33 pm

20 bass today along with some pin size crappie

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:33 pm

sinista

20 bass today along with some pin size crappie

That's nuts... was FREEZING here yesterday.

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:10 am

Fished in Jan. & Feb. of 2012 on local ponds. SLOW but bass (not many) were caught. Best day was Dec. 31, 2011 on very cold clear windless day. Caught 11 bass, none under 1.5 lbs. on jerkbaits & shallow running crankbaits. So far this mo. I've not been dialed in to the bass . . . plenty of perch, pic's, but not many bass. Just have to keep trying, I guess.

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:34 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links