Hi Guys,

I've been laid out with a bad back for the last couple of weeks. Stuck in bed over the weekend I made some impulse purchases. I think they were good value though.

Rod: St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass Casting Rod 7' MH X-Fast
(Older version of this: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/St_Croix_Legend_Tournament_Bass_Casting_Rods/descpage-NCLTC.html )

Old Revo STX 7:1:1
( http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_REVO_STX_Casting_Reel/descpage-AGRSTX.html )

I paid about $250 for the whole setup. I'm thinking of using it as a jig and frog setup. Could I throw a 7inch Swimbait with it? I was limited in my choices but I thought I would be ok with an Extra Fast Tip.

What do you think? Good value? Are those the right type of applications for a rod like that?

thanks

Posted Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I think that's a great score! You are going to love the legend tournament. Great rod and has a great warranty!

As far as the frog, I wouldn't on a MH but that doesn't mean it can't be done. IF you're throwing the frog near bushes, and thick mats/pads, I would personally use at least a heavy.

What's the weight of the 7" swimbait? If it's a slammer I wouldn't. If you're looking into starting off with swimbaits you can't go wrong with a mojo bass swimbait rod. Seems like they are few and far between nowadays but if you can find one I'd get it. I think okuma may make a cheap swimbait rod as well but not 100%.

I say stick to the jigs with that rod. You will have one bad ass jig combo!!!

Posted Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Okuma guide select swimbait rod. I have one and I love it. They make a model with a telescopic handle which is the one I have. It was about 100 bucks on Amazon with free shipping. I tried throwing my 7 in slammer on a flipping stick and stressed out the reel seat so much that the reel started to wobble. This is the one I have. It went up a little.
http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Swinbait-Casting-25-Pound-Medium-Heavy/dp/B001V7KQZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13
I have the 7'11 heavy telescopic handle

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:39 am

jjbagoose

Hi Guys,

I've been laid out with a bad back for the last couple of weeks. Stuck in bed over the weekend I made some impulse purchases. I think they were good value though.

Rod: St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass Casting Rod 7' MH X-Fast
(Older version of this: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/St_Croix_Legend_Tournament_Bass_Casting_Rods/descpage-NCLTC.html )

Old Revo STX 7:1:1
( http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_REVO_STX_Casting_Reel/descpage-AGRSTX.html )

I paid about $250 for the whole setup. I'm thinking of using it as a jig and frog setup. Could I throw a 7inch Swimbait with it? I was limited in my choices but I thought I would be ok with an Extra Fast Tip.

What do you think? Good value? Are those the right type of applications for a rod like that?

thanks

Quality set up and a great price. Congrats

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:23 am

What's the difference between a swimbait and a crankbait?

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:09 am

bcodkind

What's the difference between a swimbait and a crankbait?

about 3 ounces

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:19 am

Great info thanks guys.

I'm usually fishing from a Kayak and I can only carry a couple of rods that's why I was hoping to use this for frogs too.

Thanks for the personal experience on using swimbaits with your flipping stick Shawn. I was hoping to get away with it but I don't want to damage the rod in the process.

I'll have to get something to throw swimbaits but I'm not sure I have the budget right now Smile

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:50 am

That reel is awsome i have two of them. That will be just fine for frogs.

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:34 pm

sf22nd

That reel is awsome i have two of them. That will be just fine for frogs.

Thanks sf22nd. I've been wanting to add a nicer reel (and rod) to my collection and since they've been clearing the old Revos out I figured this was a good time. The 15% labor day sale TackleWarehouse was having made the decision for me.

I've been fishing Frogs on a 7' Medium power rod this summer so this could only be better, right?

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Why do I have this irresistable urge to go out and buy yet another rod and reel? I already have four baitcast setups, why do I need a fifth? Yet that urge, that irresistable urge...

Posted Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:47 am

berkleegrad

Why do I have this irresistable urge to go out and buy yet another rod and reel? I already have four baitcast setups, why do I need a fifth? Yet that urge, that irresistable urge...

you can never have too many. I just decided I need a rod and reel setup for deep cranking. I fish lakes that I'd use it in like 4 times a year. But I NEED it!!

Posted Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:09 am

shawneramone

berkleegrad

you can never have too many. I just decided I need a rod and reel setup for deep cranking. I fish lakes that I'd use it in like 4 times a year. But I NEED it!!

So true. I can only fit a couple of rods in my kayak but I'm still buying them.

The problem is that I keep surfing BPS and TW. Then I see a good deal and talk myself into buying more stuff.

I need to stay away from those sites (and this site isn't helping either Smile )

Posted Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:23 am

Damn you jjbagoose! Because of this thread I ordered a new reel online yesterday. To add insult to injury I returned from BassPro today with a new rod and 300 yards of PowerPro SuperSlick 8. Another $200 gone. Damn you jjbagoose! Wink

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Sorry Razz

Nice! What did you get?

I just got my rod yesterday and I love it. It's lighter than anything I've owned yet it feels like it has a real backbone.

My reel gets here on Monday I can't wait to put the 2 together and get out to try them.

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:26 pm

i think im buying a quatum baitcast setup from dicks sporting goods. medheavy i believe. 1/4-1oz. so this could be my spring schoolie setup and my deep jigin setup

Posted Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:29 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links